Marmite-love it or hate it?

I remember buying marmite when I first went vegan, so somewhere around 2005. I was somehow led to believe it was similar in taste to nutritional yeast. I made the mistake of trying it on toast and it did not appeal to me. It kind of reminded me of the better than bouillon in a jar. I would never think to have that on toast. And it's nothing like nutritional yeast! I definitely can see it used in savory dishes to add flavor though.

It's difficult to describe the taste and this is what I've found : 'Marmite has a very distinctive flavor. The taste is so unique as to defy description, but think of a yeasty, salty, soy sauce-esque flavor with the consistency of old engine oil. Some people really like eating it, and some people don't like eating it at all.''

It's very salty and has a deep flavour to it. Not for people who like very sweet spreads on toast.

@shyvas that's a very good description from what I remember. I wouldn't say I dislike it in general just something I would not want on toast. I prefer butter or cream cheese. I love jam/preserves but rarely eat it. I save it for pbj sandwiches.

@shyvas that's a very good description from what I remember. I wouldn't say I dislike it in general just something I would not want on toast. I prefer butter or cream cheese. I love jam/preserves but rarely eat it. I save it for pbj sandwiches.

That's generally the way it's consumed, either on hot spread (ed) toast, crumpet or in a sandwich. I believe the
trick is to spread it thinly as it's very salty.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52