Marmite

Jekyll40

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I've just discovered that Marmite (and, presumably, its clones) contains that elusive B12. So that's one problem solved.
Great on toast, baked potatoes, whatever.
Live long and prosper!

We don't seem to have Marmite in the USA. In fact, I probably wouldn't even know about it except for that 2016 Marmite shortage that made the news - even here.

That's so strange you don't get Marmite in the US. We get it here in Canada. I've heard Vegemite is similar, but can't confirm that. I use Marmite like you would oxo to flavour soups, stews, seitan, etc. I've tasted it straight from the jar, but don't spread mine on toast or anything like that. It's a bit salty for me.

There is also Guinness Marmite, which I haven't tried yet. Must track some down - and execute a double whammy!

That's so strange you don't get Marmite in the US. We get it here in Canada. I've heard Vegemite is similar, but can't confirm that. I use Marmite like you would oxo to flavour soups, stews, seitan, etc. I've tasted it straight from the jar, but don't spread mine on toast or anything like that. It's a bit salty for me.

I think Vegemite is Austrailian Marmite.
And I don't think we have Oxo either. Never heard of it before.

Yes, Vegemite is indeed the Aussie version of Marmite. I'm not sure how close it is in taste though.

Oxo is a Knorr product in Canada. At a glance, it would appear USA is one of the few places it isn't available. Must be tariffs ;) No big loss, as it isn't vegan, anyways. I like "Better Than Bouillon" way better than I ever liked Oxo brand, and Better Than Bouillon has vegan options.

I live in the USA and I have marmite. I buy it at a store close to me. It's in the ethnic aisle. It can also be ordered on amazon.

I live in the USA and I have marmite. I buy it at a store close to me. It's in the ethnic aisle. It can also be ordered on amazon.

An ethnic aisle? That sounds almost racist. Or... elitist?
Grocer's Asst: Sir, Where does the Marmite go?
Grocer: Stick it over there on the Ethnic Aisle.

Well, at least it didn't get stuck on the "Vegan Aisle"

• Haha
Reactions: Veganite

It's very similar. Marmite has added sugar where Vegemite does not. B12 isn't in the traditional version of Vegemite, but the low sodium version contains it.

An ethnic aisle? That sounds almost racist. Or... elitist?
Grocer's Asst: Sir, Where does the Marmite go?
Grocer: Stick it over there on the Ethnic Aisle.

Well, at least it didn't get stuck on the "Vegan Aisle"
That's what they are called in the USA. Basically a dump spot for hispanic foods, jewish foods, etc. It at the very least makes it easier to find the foods I eat.

That's what they are called in the USA. Basically a dump spot for hispanic foods, jewish foods, etc. It at the very least makes it easier to find the foods I eat.

I was just trying to be funny.

However, I don't think my grocer has an "ethnic aisle". But maybe that is because of the community I live in. We have a Mexican aisle and an Asian aisle. The Jews don't have their own aisle. Except around Passover, when they get their own display table (matzoh, gefilte fish, and Manischewitz are just carried seasonally.) He also segregates the vegetarian and vegan food as much as possible. But we don't get a labeled area or aisle either (just over there by the tofu). While the gluten-free foods have a clearly labeled section. Obviously, grocers are just segregationists at heart.

gefilte fish

That stuff is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. It not only tastes disgusting, it also looks like cat food. I'd jokingly call it the reason I went vegan. haha

• Haha
Reactions: Lou
That stuff is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. It not only tastes disgusting, it also looks like cat food. I'd jokingly call it the reason I went vegan. haha

I used to like it

Meanwhile, I went grocery shopping and I guess we do have an "ethnic aisle". although it's not labeled as such.

IMG_0264.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2
I was just trying to be funny.

However, I don't think my grocer has an "ethnic aisle". But maybe that is because of the community I live in. We have a Mexican aisle and an Asian aisle. The Jews don't have their own aisle. Except around Passover, when they get their own display table (matzoh, gefilte fish, and Manischewitz are just carried seasonally.) He also segregates the vegetarian and vegan food as much as possible. But we don't get a labeled area or aisle either (just over there by the tofu). While the gluten-free foods have a clearly labeled section. Obviously, grocers are just segregationists at heart.
Oh I know. I was just trying to explain it more I guess.