Advertisement
  1. Boo! Guest!

We're celebrating Halloween by turning the forum incredibly spooky! Though if you'd like to revert to the default theme click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Meat cutter in question...

Discussion in 'Transitioning' started by Pat Bertup, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Pat Bertup

Pat Bertup New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Omnivore
    Hello everyone, I currently work as a meat cutter in a local grocery store. I enjoy the actual work that needs to be done each day, but I am in question about what I do because it is dead flesh of an animal that i work with (chicken, pork, and beef, sometimes fish.) I am personally a meat eater currently. Yet, I have been increasing discussed with meat due to the fact that it comes from a living creature. I enjoy the work, and really can't see myself doing anything else, but how can I deal with the two sides of my feelings? Thanks, Bertup

2. Sax
    Happy

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    If it's causing you to feel more empathy for the animals we feed off of that sounds like a positive thing. I can only suggest processing those feelings a little more...maybe read a little about the animal industry and about going vegan and decide if that's something you want to try.

I transitioned pretty gradually. I didn't set out with veganism as an end-goal, I just wanted to reduce how much I contributed to animal suffering. But it turned out to be so easy and rewarding I had no excuse not to go full vegan by the end, and now I can't imagine going back. Other people just switch to full vegan overnight, but I'd only recommend that if you are feeling very committed to making the change.

I worked in produce for many years - I loved it. I wasn't even vegan or vegetarian at the time. I'll bet you could transfer within your local grocery store if you were interested.

3. Veganite
    Approved

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +588 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I was in a similar situation as a chef. However, I was lucky to be able to spend time retraining into a new career. I no longer work as a chef, and use those old skills to fuel my vegan lifestyle instead. It took some adapting and time to transition into a new career, but it is possible for you too. I also loved being a chef, but as a vegan I could not stomach working with animal flesh. It was okay in the beginning, but I soon found myself disgusted by it. I knew I wasn't going back to eating animal flesh, so I had to embrace a new career.