Milk in the workplace

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I work at organisation that has a constant supply of milk at the workplace for tea and coffee. The other day I received an email that went out to the entire floor discussing milk supply and next delivery. I proceeded to ‘reply all’ to mention that I keep a constant supply of non dairy milk for anyone who wants it.

The milk supply is usually in excess of demand and a lot is poured down the sink. All this is wrong on so many levels!

I was thinking of starting a petition to get people on board to stop or at least significantly reduce the milk supply. It personally makes me sick.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this?

I'm not sure if you need a petition.

Who is paying for the milk? do they know it is being wasted?

You may just be able to solve this problem by pointing out to the "person in charge of milk" that milk, creamers, and non dairy milk can be bought in tetra packs and stored indefinitely. That the tetra packs can be purchased in smaller quantities. Like half quarts instead of quarts and gallons. re-ordering and delivery may be simplified with this strategy. only reordering the products that are running low. Be sure to point out that plant milks after being opened last longer than dairy without spoiling. Besides saving money on things that are being thrown out, tetra packs can be ordered "wholesale" for substantial savings. and can be delivered to the workplace. Some of these products can be ordered with a subscription. so it eliminates some paperwork, too

This can be applied not only to 1%, 2%, full-fat milk, and half & half but can also be applied to soy, oat, and almond. Plus there are all those delicious non-dairy creamers.

Employee morale will be boosted by having what every type of coffee or tea additive is preferred. Money will be saved and hopefully some animals, too.

Unfortunately We live in a wasteful world, here in the UK a report shows that two fifths of fruit and vegetables hit the bin before they hit the stomach. Fortunately some of the waste is taken up by feeding the produce to livestock, but that is at vast expense to the industry, which is ultimately met, of course, by the consumer. For heavens sake, people, don't let the appearance of a vegetable put you off, they are all the same on the inside...:)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/19/fruit-vegetables-wasted-ugly-report

Thanks for all the suggestions... here is my plan... feel free to give me feedback :)

I will monitor the milk for a week and see how much is left unused and expires... then I will submit the idea as a cost saving mechanism. Idea: buy a very small amount fresh milk and the remainder will be tetra packs of all sorts of milk :)

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
Sounds like a good plan. You may not know this but cow's milk is also available in tetra packs. Look for ultra-pasteurized (UHT). For coffee, half and half is usually the most popular. There are also some excellent plant-based "Creamers". Califia makes a delicious coconut cream/almond milk blend.

Definitely boil it down to a dollar figure. And the person who is in charge of buying it might not care. You have to present this to accounting, or the owner, out someone else above them.

Why do they have to provide it anyway? My work provides nothing except the coffee and powdered junk.

I'm glad I don't drink coffee, lol

Reactions: betiPT
This honestly discuss me when people waste food or drinks in genral I am a highschool student and I live on small farm we live off the land I know that this is a vegan forum and that I am not vegan but it discuss me with how animals are treated we have two cows for milk and we use all of that milk and we donate the rest to the food bank so that they homeless can have fresh milk. I don't think that people realize that we are just wasting food and when they don't eat any of an animal that had to be killed for that meal and they just don't bother it makes me sick to my stomach.

... They've been bringing in milk lately at my work to go with "breakfast" (usually scrambled eggs, croissants, butter, dehydrated oatmeal packets, bagels with cream cheese...).

I dunt get drinking milk. yuck! Even when I ate cheese I hated milk (and i know how that makes no sense). *puke