My food intake question

Donald

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I am a male age 54 who is 6'3" tall and weigh 200 pounds with an ideal weight of 165.
I follow a simple diet as I am a terrible cook and wonder if the following meal regimen will supply me with enough calories / nutrition per day? I can't eat spicy, friend, fatty or citrus foods.

Daily Breakfast: Oatmeal with almond fruit, wheatgerm and whole wheat toast with PB.
Dinner: small portion of soup.
Snacks: nuts and dried fruits for snacks.

Below is my daily lunch, varying the vegetables with every new preperation.

Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Soup 1000 Cal Per Serving

Ingredients

2 cups dry lentils
2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
5 cup virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 cups almond milk
1 Can Coconut Milk
3 cup vegetable broth
1 garlic cloves, crushed
3 inches ginger root
1/2 tablespoon iodized salt
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

Directions

Place the lentils, rice, carrots, celery, onion, water, broth, garlic powder, ground black pepper and salt in a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours. Stir in the mushrooms 1 hour before serving.

It looks pretty good. Eat a variety of different things rather than just repeating the same things over and over but if you vary the veg that could be the most important things. Make sure you supplement B12 and I also suggest you put ground chia or flax seeds in some foods for Omeag 3 levels.

Other than that I think it looks great.

Calories - have snacks available and eat more if you feel hungry or are losing weight. Remember new vegetarians and vegans often find that they have to eat larger portions. Or, others prefer a calorie counter online to track foods.

Do you have a weekly meal planner with shopping list? Breakfast I can eat my normal meals. I need something simple that can be easily followed as I am blind.

Make a list of all the meals you can prepare, with alternative fresh ingredients depending on the seasons. If a meal is freezer friendly cook enough for 3 or 4 meals. If the first part of a recipe is freezer friendly do it up to that stage , then store until needed.
Different herbs lend themselves to giving different flavours easily. Leeks instead of onion for a milder flavour, most of the herbs can be adjusted to suit your taste, 1 or 2 leaves for subtle flavour or a bit more if you like. If you like curry without the heat try to get some curry leaves, good flavour with no burn.
There are a lot of vegan meal planners / shopping lists on the net, you just have to find one you are comfortable using.
Your recipe sounds good, will have to give it a try, just not now we are heading into summer down here, in April/May is the time to be looking for warming food in the evening

Your soup recipe looks amazing - I would just change from "small amount of soup" to "as much as I want soup"....

Emma JC

Hi Donald,
I would agree with Emma that you could happily eat more, especially vegetables. If you want simple menus, use frozen vegetables and add some tinned beans perhaps.
Good luck!