My husband (kids too) will not go vegan...

MamaJessica

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I only buy vegan foods/products, but they find a way to get non-vegan food for themselves and bring it into the house.
Yes, they all have seen the slaughter videos and/or children friendly ones on youtube...
I have given up on getting them to be vegan. but I will contd to be.

With that said, holidays are coming up. This is my first holiday season. (Thanksgiving, Christmas etc) being Vegan. I will have to plan my own feast for those times with family.... as (my parents and in-laws) are not open to a vegan feast... Does anyone else have an unsupportive family?

I don't know about unsupportive, but my family is definitely not going vegan. They respect what I want to do, but I don't see them changing any time soon. My girlfriend has been eating less meat, but she still eats a little every day (along with dairy and eggs). She plans on trying to slowly go lacto/ovo vegetarian. Her kids are dead set against it. So we still have to keep them on their normal diets.

As for the holidays, I am planning on making my own stuff to eat. I really don't expect my family to cater to me. My cousin and her husband recently went vegan though, so if they are still sticking with it by November, do expect to see a vegan dish or two at Thanksgiving. There will be 3 of us then. :)

Reactions: gab and MamaJessica
I make vegan meals at my house. My son is 3 and very picky of course. My mother spoiled him with whatever he wanted to eat separate from the rest of the family when we lived with her and I'm still trying to break that. My husband will eat what I make which is vegan. My son does not want to be vegan and that's his choice though he's only 3. He loves chicken nuggets and cheese. I have let him try some vegan options and he does like some but I'm not going to force him. My husband gets whatever he wants outside of the house. We went vegan for his health since his cholesterol was over 300. He was at risk for a heart attack. He does eat mostly vegan but I cannot control what he eats outside of the house.

My parents and brother are not vegan at all. It's not my place to tell them what to eat and neither of them are big veggie eaters. I've told them why I remain vegan which is a variety of reasons now and they listen and respect my choices but I don't expect them to cater to me. My brother really listens and it's changed how he thinks of food and he will watch documentaries with me.

I will be making my own holiday meals for my family. I am exvited to be making a vegan thanksgiving this year. I'm hoping my son will not put up a fuss this year. He did last year with turkey. I'll be making tofurky this year and vegan versions of greenbean casserole and mac and cheese bake.

In the end you can really only make your own decision on being vegan. You cannot force your family to follow. As long as they eat your food that you make don't worry about what they get on their own. Everyone is their own individual person.

Reactions: MamaJessica
Our families are always in England and my partner and I are always in Spain at Christmastime. I buy presents for my family but I am pleased that I don't have to spend the festive season with them, although I love to see them at other times. We sometimes go out with friends and sometimes meet at a friend's house but I prefer to go for a long walk with my partner and our dogs and we then eat in a bar or have a picnic whenever we're hungry and there is no set menu for us and no ritual to follow. It's just another day. I love every normal day but fiestas have little or no appeal for me.

Reactions: MamaJessica
I can't get my wife to go vegan although I she reduced her meat eating at home just for convenience....there is no point sizzling up steaks or buying a whole chicken anymore. I can't convince my daughter and my son is only 5 and my wife cooks for her - and chicken nuggets are pretty common. They also drink a lot of milk.

I only buy vegan foods/products, but they find a way to get non-vegan food for themselves and bring it into the house.
Yes, they all have seen the slaughter videos and/or children friendly ones on youtube...
I have given up on getting them to be vegan. but I will contd to be.

With that said, holidays are coming up. This is my first holiday season. (Thanksgiving, Christmas etc) being Vegan. I will have to plan my own feast for those times with family.... as (my parents and in-laws) are not open to a vegan feast... Does anyone else have an unsupportive family?
I always recommend showing people What the Health. People seem to take things more seriously when they realize how meat can effect their health negatively.

I was vegetarian when I met O.H, he has always been respectful of my choices and I have noticed he doesn't feel the need to eat meat every day any more. M.I.L is just about vegan, not by a conscious thought, just she can't or wont chew any thing with texture ( except Tim Tam biscuits) so she gets mostly what I eat as long as it's soft. I try to get extra calories and protein into her but she is so under weight it makes me cry. At nearly 92 years old and a stomach cancer survivor, (she has the appetite of a 2 year old) and in the early stages of dementia it's really an uphill battle to get any food into her. So whatever she wants at the moment is fine by me.

My husband is a meat eater and will probably never go vegan with me. Which I understand as being his choice, I'm not the type to force my beliefs and how I feel on others. He understands how I feel in regards to veganism, and he supports me every step of the which, for which I am thankful for. He is always open to eating any vegan meals that I prepare, sometimes giving me pointers here and there for a better taste/flavour.

Of course we all have our own personal beliefs and I think in order for families to get along, we need to support one another. We can give friendly health advice here and there but there is no point in arguing to try and sway peoples opinions. If they truly feel that veganism is something they could try and potentially stick with, then just give them time. Show they how amazing you feel being vegan :)