Advertisement

My pet hate is …….

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by rogerjolly, Dec 13, 2017.

1. rogerjolly
    Breezy

rogerjolly Active Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    One of my pet hates is waste of any description but especially the waste of food. The idea that producers for supermarkets have to discard carrots if they are not “perfectly” shaped drives me to distraction.

Call me extremist but …..

· I always leave a perfectly clean plate even to the point of mopping up any juices with pieces of bread.

· The remnants left on the bread board are scooped up; especially so with breads that have been coated with seeds.

· You can relive one of your childhood joys by scraping out the bowl used to make the icing for the chocolate cake.

· It is said that the most nutritious part of a potato is the skin. Baked potatoes are a favourite and of course the Irish have a great tradition of scrubbing instead of peeling them before boiling.

· Most Brits throw out the tops of beetroot having never heard of what Canadians and Americans call beet greens. Cook them as though they are spinach.

· The best part of a desert apple is the core! Admittedly some bits can get stuck between the teeth but there is the beautifully bitter taste from biting into a pip.

Roger.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forest Nymph
    Scurvy

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    - Lights left on in an empty room, but especially fluorescent lights, the eternal symbol of post-industrial capitalism
    - People who won't wash out their bottles and jars for the recycling bin (don't make the trash man wash the trash)
    - Plastic water bottles
    - Environmentalists who eat meat unapologetically, especially those in the profession who know better
    - Vegans who apologize for being vegan, who hate other vegans more than omnis, that whole business of being the Uncle Tom of veganism...what should we start calling them? Uncle Steaks?
    - Tinder dates who inform me they don't "mind" vegans or vegan food...like great, I don't "mind" that Mormon people exist either but I'm probably not going to date one.
    - People who blatantly misunderstand basic science that is at the high school or community college level, like not knowing the carbon cycle so arguing that "carbon is good for plants so therefore more CO2 is not dangerous and cannot cause global warming" as well as "people are at the top of the food chain" first of all...there's no food "chain" and there hasn't been one since second grade...etc and so forth

I hate a lot of people. I should go live in a yurt which I only leave periodically to go to protests and animal rescues.

3. Sax
    No Mood

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Drivers who get ****** off that I'm riding my bike in the road. Oh, you had to push on a brake pedal a little bit with your foot and then turn your steering wheel a few degrees? Emotionally stable people don't endanger other's lives over minor inconveniences....there are a LOT of emotionally unstable people out there. You own a car, not the road!

But it's the people who use phones while driving I'm more concerned about. If a driver is mad at me at least they see me. Driving while on the phone is almost as dangerous as driving drunk, and it needs to be as socially and legally unacceptable as drunk driving.

Okay, that's more than a pet hate.

I hate when my cats jump from my window sill onto my bed in the middle of the night.

I hate when people bring me an old, piece of crap bike they want to "restore" because of it's sentimental value. Where was that sentimental value when you let it rot outside for years?!

I hate when the grocery store doesn't have ripe avocados.

4. Lesley

Lesley Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Being asked what I eat as if I am on a restrictive diet.

Being told by omnis that vegans will cause the death of all farm animals.

Omnis acting like being vegan is just too much hard work and requires loads of prep time but they insist a Sunday roast doesn't take any real effort.

Plugs left switched on when you aren't using the device it powers (except when charging obviously)

Lights left on after leaving the room and doors left open then complaining it's cold.

5. rogerjolly
    Breezy

rogerjolly Active Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    My second hobby horse pet hate is ……… litter.

Cadair Idris is reputedly the second most popular mountain in Wales. Until this week it was the one Welsh high peak that had for decades beckoned me but been neglected.

At a sheltered viewpoint I was greeted by sundry litter including the peels of six bananas and an orange. There seems to be an attitude that if it’s bio-degradable then it’s not really litter. It amazes me that walkers, of all people, can leave rubbish behind them which diminishes the pleasure of others. If they can transport it up then surely they can transport it down.

So I filled the litter bag I always carry, (It’s not a pleasant job picking up semi-decayed banana peel!), and took it down with me. My one consolation was that there were numerous egg shells amongst the waste so the miscreants were certainly not vegan. :)

The two days I spent on Idris were absolutely splendid. The mountain embraces the magnificent Cwm Cau which, for me, far outrivals any other.

Roger.

6. hopeful
    Creative

hopeful Active Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan

YES!!!!! Seriously! Sure, at first it takes some effort learning what has hidden animal ingredients and what doesn't, and how to cook some vegan things if unfamiliar with them, but seriously- meat can take SO long to cook!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Pet hate or pet peeve, the modifier "pet" makes it seem like it's not a passionate hate, and I'm not sure I want to disclose those...

Pet peeves include:

People making a left turn into a side street (right turn for those living in countries where you drive on the right instead of the left) who will slow down and turn from the highway lane instead of the side lane, making all traffic in their lane have to slow down for them unnecessarily.

Females who call me "mate". It's something guys say to guys here...if your a female who says it to a guy I usually get butch/lesbian vibes or at the least a whiff of the type of feminism that I disagree with.

People who stink. Usually meat eaters who rarely shower or those who do but don't use breath mints.

Pet owners who are irresponsible with their pets, especially dog owners who are irresponsible with dangerous/aggressive dogs in public areas.

Special Snowflakes on message boards that ***** when you shatter their illusions and work to have you removed. Such is the case on another mb I was at not long ago.

Getting into the hate area...

I can't stand false people who seek advantage by flattery. These people are smart enough to figure out the insecurities/likes/dislikes of friends and then use them to turn them against you for their own selfish reasons.

Males with WhiteKnight Syndrome and females with Persecuted Princess syndrome. Some of the characters I have met displaying these attributes are among the lowest people I have come into contact with and will freely falsely slander others if they think it elevates their social standing or whatever other selfish pursuit they are following.

Pauline Xianty. Jesus I like, His teachings I like - your religion though? No.