Natural remedies for cold/flu

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What are your best natural remedies for cold and flu? Even if it’s just a comfort practice :)

I’m sick in bed and have just made some veggie soup :) I find the best thing is sucking on antibacterial lozenges and some chamomile tea. I am avoiding cold and flu tablets.

Reactions: TofuRobot
Sorry your not feeling well! :(
...My best remedy is SLEEP and lots of it - not even joking. That said, if I think it's the flu, I will take some ocsillococcinum (sp?) if I happen to have it or have the energy to run out and get it. It helps pretty much only if you start taking right away, and homemopathic so I figure the worst that could happen would be nothing, so why not. It seems to help. Won't help much if it's a cold, though. ...I will also drink hot water with lemon, or lemon ginger tea. The *only* thing that is remotely medicated that I'll take is Zicam Intense Sinus Nasal Spray - if I'm so stuffed up that I can't breathe and it's preventing me from sleeping. I follow the rules on it though really strictly - no more than 2x/day and not for more than 5 days.

It's really been so long since I've been sick (knock on wood!)

Honestly, when I'm sick, what I want most is for someone to come clean my house and to walk my dog, lol. I'm still waiting for that to happen... :/

Feel better soon!!

Reactions: betiPT
What are your best natural remedies for cold and flu? Even if it’s just a comfort practice :)

I’m sick in bed and have just made some veggie soup :) I find the best thing is sucking on antibacterial lozenges and some chamomile tea. I am avoiding cold and flu tablets.

If it is a cold or flu the antibacterial lozenge will have no effect. Colds and Flues are viruses.

For me, I just want to knock myself out and sleep thru the whole thing. So I'll take something Like Nyquil and go to bed with an audiobook.

Back during the fire season, the smoke really irritated my throat. ( there were no more breath masks left in the county). So i found some tea that helped. It was called "Throat Coat". I also went thru a lot of lemon/menthol lozenges.

If it is a cold or flu the antibacterial lozenge will have no effect. Colds and Flues are viruses.

For me, I just want to knock myself out and sleep thru the whole thing. So I'll take something Like Nyquil and go to bed with an audiobook.

Back during the fire season, the smoke really irritated my throat. ( there were no more breath masks left in the county). So i found some tea that helped. It was called "Throat Coat". I also went thru a lot of lemon/menthol lozenges.
Lozenges are more for comfort and secondary bacterial infection :) also seem to help with the cough too :)

Sorry your not feeling well! :(
...My best remedy is SLEEP and lots of it - not even joking. That said, if I think it's the flu, I will take some ocsillococcinum (sp?) if I happen to have it or have the energy to run out and get it. It helps pretty much only if you start taking right away, and homemopathic so I figure the worst that could happen would be nothing, so why not. It seems to help. Won't help much if it's a cold, though. ...I will also drink hot water with lemon, or lemon ginger tea. The *only* thing that is remotely medicated that I'll take is Zicam Intense Sinus Nasal Spray - if I'm so stuffed up that I can't breathe and it's preventing me from sleeping. I follow the rules on it though really strictly - no more than 2x/day and not for more than 5 days.

It's really been so long since I've been sick (knock on wood!)

Honestly, when I'm sick, what I want most is for someone to come clean my house and to walk my dog, lol. I'm still waiting for that to happen... :/

Feel better soon!!

I have been sleeping lots, and I am certainly on the mend :)

I don't take cold medicine. I had a bad cold last week. I was drinking an echinacea tonic in glasses of water, and also drinking more herbal teas. I eat things like ramen soup with hot sauce and lime juice in the mix. I did have to break down and buy some spearmint cough drops because they were cheap, and it's that time of the semester. Normally I'd spend a little bit more and get the herbal elderberry cough drops. Oh I did have some elderberry tonic kombucha one day, and some plain unsweetened almond yogurt. I make sure I eat vinegary stuff too, like pickles.

Probiotics help with viruses and fungi though. Kombucha, yogurt, fermented pickles and krauts are all good for your immune system.

One time, when I was sick, my friend gave me chaga mushroom tea, and I started feeling instantly a little better. The effect reminded me of coffee, but she told me that it doesn't actually have any caffeine, it just invigorates you because it has so many nutrients. You can use one tea bag for about four to eight times, basically until it doesn't colour the water anymore.

I have read somewhere that during war, when coffee was scarce, people would drink chaga instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lemon juice + hot water + agave.

3 or more raw pressed cloves of garlic mixed in a light salad or with apple, and most effective of all: one or two tablespoons of cumin.

A high dosage of CBD oil helps too.

Don't eat when you're not hungry. When you are producing mucus it's your body cleansing from eating too much starch.

One time, when I was sick, my friend gave me chaga mushroom tea, and I started feeling instantly a little better. The effect reminded me of coffee, but she told me that it doesn't actually have any caffeine, it just invigorates you because it has so many nutrients. You can use one tea bag for about four to eight times, basically until it doesn't colour the water anymore.

I have read somewhere that during war, when coffee was scarce, people would drink chaga instead.
What did the chaga taste like? I’m afraid to buy; scared it will taste terrible.

What did the chaga taste like? I’m afraid to buy; scared it will taste terrible.
I don't know if this will help... But I suppose it has a slight "earthy" taste. Very fine taste, not like any other mushroom you might have eaten before. If you don't like it, you can add sugar. I did the first time, but after a while, started liking the taste and didn't need any sweeteners.

Natural remedies are always best. I prefer natural remedies for health care, skin care, hair care also. I also use natural beauty products. There are many natural remedies to cure cold and flu. Garlic is a natural antibiotic, take raw garlic or cooked garlic, it will help to fight with cold. Another home remedy is taking honey. Honey also fight with some viruses and bacteria of flu. Well, virus is the reason of cold and flu. Within 10 days if you see no sign of improvement, you should see the doctor.