Need food ideas

user0123

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’ve been vegan for about 2 months now and so far everything has been going pretty well. But in about 2 weeks I will be going on a camping retreat program. There is going to be a lot of meat served and barely any foods I can eat besides salad and bread and I don’t want to eat salad and bread for 4 days straight. Is there anything I can take with me that I can prepare beforehand that won’t go bad or get spoiled. Keep in mind that I won’t have a fridge or microwave with me (or anything to warm up food)
If anyone can give me any ideas for things I can eat (recipes, snacks, etc...) I would really appreaciate it.

Absolutely!
Nuts: A mix of Brazil, Walnut, Almonds. (I eat 30g a day combined)
Canned Beans: Organic Refried Beans with No Fat. ( I eat half a can a day, approximately 245g)
Organic Black or Kidney Beans with No Sodium or Low Sodium ( I eat a can a day, approximately 245g)
Dried Fruit: Many options here. You don't need as much dried fruit as you would fresh. (I eat no more than 200g of dried a day)
Grains: You could precook Quinoa or Oats and keep them meal prepped in an ice chest and be set. (I eat approximately 300g of cooked grains a day.)
Eat the veggies they offer and you, my friend, have a nicely balanced whole food diet. All considering you are away from home. May even be able to stuff a half gallon of Almond Milk in that ice chest and try to get a 8oz glass in each day.

All of these foods can be eaten without heat as long as you prepare the grains ahead of time. Canned beans are precooked. Hope this helps. (It's super cheap and nutritious.)

I am by no means telling you how much you should eat. Only giving you an idea of what I eat for around 1800 calories a day. I'm 6'2" and I weight 170 lbs.

Nice list Mathias!

You could also take some cereal and or rolled oats with you and the snack size plant milk with you so that your breakfasts would be easier, combined with the dried fruit. You could even make up containers of the oats and nuts and fruits and add the milk before you go to sleep the night before, if you have a cooler and if you don't then add it in the morning.

You must have access to boiled water? take some pasta and some canned sauces.

Also, you could take some potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic etc and some tin foil and cook them in/under the camp fire. For the first couple of days you could enjoy potatoes that you cooked at home.

My favourite would be peanut butter and jam sandwiches!! I think I could live on them for 4 days. :eek:

Have a great time!! Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Breakfast: Oatmeal with peanut butter stirred in, as well as dry fruit. You could also do nuts and fruit, but I'm a fan of peanut butter oats. You could also bring granola bars, but don't skimp on calories - if you eat granola bars, eat two or dip them in peanut butter or almond butter. If you are backpacking you need calories.

Lunch: canned refried beans can be eaten right out of the can on a tortilla with nutritional yeast and hot sauce. You can also bring those little pouches of Indian lentil dishes and pouches of rice that they sell in nearly every grocery store and eat them straight out the packet.

Snacks: dried fruit, fruit cups, sunflower seeds, potato chips, Primal vegan jerky (sold at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and some other locations like co-ops see here:
https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...campaign=gsx&dclid=CNiasL_B1toCFci8ZAodYAsKaw )

Dinner: if you can boil water you can bring pasta with sauce, Top Ramen Soy Sauce or Chili flavors, and freeze-dried meals from shops that just need hot water to come alive. You can also bring shelf-stable tofu, packets or cans of beans, avocados, potato flakes, and condiments.

REI and similar kinds of stores carry backpacking food that can easily be made with nothing but hot water, if you have a camp stove, and something to purify water with...I don't know how wild your adventure is, but even in a remote location you can gather water and purify it with iodine tabs or a pump, and heat it in a camp pan/bowl over a camp stove or fire.

I'm assuming if the people you are traveling with are eating meat there will be some sort of fire or camp stove. I'd capitalize on that if I were you.