New from the peach state

HealthyMeWannabe

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello folks! I'm new to the forum. Its nice to meet you all. My name is Courtney and I'm on a quest to get healthy. I want to lose weight, gain health, and be a better role model for my kids! I'm looking forward to seeing how a vegan diet can help me reach those goals.

Back in 2006, I went vegan for 4 months. I lost 40 pounds, I was feeling so much better, and I was so much healthier! I rewarded myself with a cheeseburger and that completely undid all of the good that I had done.

Just like cigarettes and alcohol can be an addiction for some, meat and sugar are an addiction for me. I realized that after four months went by and then I treated myself to a cheeseburger. It's like it set off something in my brain, something that turn me into a raging meat addict again.

I want to fix that. For my health. For the planet. For the animals.

Helpful and friendly advice is most welcome! I'm looking forward to taking this journey and enjoying the support and new friendships that I will gain along the way.

Reactions: Sax
Welcome, HMWB, and congrats on your decision to take control of your health, again.

As I have stated, many times on this forum, for many of us and for me, it has been a journey that can take place over years and for others they can change right away.

One of the keys things you said is "I rewarded myself" and that is the thinking that has to change. It isn't a reward to eat meat or cheese and yet it is a typical feeling. My spouse has used that language occasionally and I always ask him to change what he says because what we say out loud it what our brains/consciousness hear.

My best advice is too immerse yourself in learning, every day. Try to watch videos from the WFPBed greats like Dr Greger, Dr Neil Barnard, the Esselstyns, Dr McDougall, Jeff Novick, Dr Lyle and YouTubers of which there are so many. We just passed our two year mark and I deliberately watch videos everyday, "what I eat in a day" videos, recipe videos, conference speeches etc. Watch "What the Health" and other of the longer videos that are available on Netflix and YouTube. There are lots of good families that eat and live in a healthy sustainable way and they chronicle their lives for us to emulate. Dr Barnard addresses the 'cheese addiction' in "The Cheese Trap" and it is likely available at your local library.

All the best with your journey and please keep us up to date and let us know if there are any particular questions that we can help with. There is a lot of information available on this forum so take the time to browse all the different topics.

Emma JC

Reactions: Sax and Lou