New Vegan

Luis.00.d

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
hi everyone. I am a new member here and I decided to be vegan but I don't know how to start.
I have a question and it's:
To what extent do ethical concerns regarding animal welfare influence the adoption of vegetarian diets, compared to other motivators such as health or environmental factors? Is there a quantifiable link between these motivations and specific types of vegetarian diets (lacto-ovo, lacto, ovo, etc.)?

hi everyone. I am a new member here and I decided to be vegan but I don't know how to start.
To what extent do ethical concerns regarding animal welfare influence the adoption of vegetarian diets, compared to other motivators such as health or environmental factors? Is there a quantifiable link between these motivations and specific types of vegetarian diets (lacto-ovo, lacto, ovo, etc.)?

For me, a "vegetarian diet" is just that, a diet. Health may be a major factor.
If animal welfare, or the wish to see less suffering for animals is the motivation, then a vegetarian diet still contributes untold suffering.

The dairy and egg industries are arguably worse than the meat industries in many cases and both essentially ARE the meat industry.

@g0rph is exactly right, IMHO.
BTW I just discovered that in his name the Oh is a Zero. So it appears to be un-pronounceable

The one thing maybe worth mentioning is that a vegetarian may be inspired by animal welfare but is misguided or ignorant about the egg and dairy industry.

To get started I recommend reading a book or three. But that's me. I love books. You may prefer a movie, or podcast, or video.

The Vegan Kickstart is free and downloadable. I like it because it's structured and comprehensive.

Reactions: Emma JC
For me, a "vegetarian diet" is just that, a diet. Health may be a major factor.
If animal welfare, or the wish to see less suffering for animals is the motivation, then a vegetarian diet still contributes untold suffering.

The dairy and egg industries are arguably worse than the meat industries in many cases and both essentially ARE the meat industry.
Eating an egg doesn't involve the killing of an animal so that is down to the industry, not personal responsibility. If you wish to boycott the egg and dairy industries then fine but remember you cannot live without funding some ethical monstrosity as just about every large business invests in something questionable for the sake of profit. Cash crops are an excellent example. If you drink coffee or tea or eat chocolate you are probably funding the deaths of human beings in the third world. What is more ethical; eggs or chocolate cake?

• Disagree
Reactions: 1956
@g0rph is exactly right, IMHO.
BTW I just discovered that in his name the Oh is a Zero. So it appears to be un-pronounceable

It's oldschool.

1. I always loved frogs. There's a story there, but I'll not bore you now.
2. I like the use of "ph" for "f". It's suitably esoteric and daft.
3. I started playing video games on Space-invaders, Space-Firebirds and.... GORF.
4. When I first started playing online games, it was fashionable to add a zero in place of an "O" (along with 1 for I, 4 for A etc) in your online name.

1tz g33ky , but L33t :) (or at least it used to be amongst a certain group) :)

welcome to the forum

people come to veganism from each of the three ways you have listed and often then are motivated by the other two once they arrive...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou and PTree15
I think the most important place to start is food. It'll seem very limited at first, heads up, there is a learning curb, but it does get easier. Regarding animal welfare, I suggest watching the documentary "Dominion, animal creulty." You should also check out the current evidence about how animals experience pain, and evidence for their sentience. Even bees play with wooden balls, seemingly for fun.

heads up, there is a learning curb,

a lot of people trip on that curb.
Regarding animal welfare, I suggest watching the documentary "Dominion, animal creulty."
I Did Not Like that movie. it didn't help me at all. At least it's not as as bad as Earthlings.

I would stick with the more "fun" movies. Like Cowspiracy and What the Health.

Reactions: Stardust1986

I Did Not Like that movie. it didn't help me at all. At least it's not as as bad as Earthlings.

It's certainly not a fun documentary, but I think it's really important for people to watch. I think it depicts the reality of factory farming, and shows that animals can feel pain and terror, and people should be aware of it. Maybe your right, that it might be a bit too much at first. It was the first documentary I watched about this subject, and it was more emotional

Last edited:
Reactions: g0rph

You would be very, very, very odd if you "liked" it. ;)

I haven't watched it. I tried to get my non-vegan SO of almost 30 years to watch. We managed 10 minutes.

You would be very, very, very odd if you "liked" it. ;)

I haven't watched it. I tried to get my non-vegan SO of almost 30 years to watch. We managed 10 minutes.
I watched it twice, beginning to end. The second time was when I watched it with my best friend, I noticed a tear in his eye when they pulled the fur off the bunny, and it screamed. Scientists are certain animals experience fear and pain like we do, and i think the public can be convinced too, if they watch the documentary

I tried to watch it. Twice. But I couldn't stand it.
I tried Eartrhings too. but couldn't get past chapter 2.

I then realized that I didn't need this kind stuff. Preaching to the choir or something like that.

I'm convinced that a much better strategy is to explain the benefits of veganism as opposed to the disadvantage of carnism.

I suggest documentaries like What the Health, Cowspiracy, Game Changers,

Maybe throw in Babe and Okja for dessert.

:)

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I probably said it before but the Food Inc. by Michael Pollan, and The Last Pig are ones I find most relatable for most folks

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou