Newbie needs advice!

Noelle

Newcomer
Reaction score
So I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and am desperately trying to change my diet. Since my cancer is estrogen based, A lot of people seem to swear if I going vegan makes all the difference. My problem is in less than a week I have a lost 4 pounds and gained 3% body fat from strictly eating vegetables and fruits. I only weigh 107 pounds and really can't afford to lose anymore weight. What do vegans eat to add calories and protein to their diets. I need to stay away from all animal products, and soy as much as I can. Also, I was going to buy Orgain organic plant based protein powder so I can get some protein in my diet. That would considered a processed food then wouldn't it? I'm supposed to stay away from processed foods also. Ugh! I'm at such a loss, I am beyond hungry and have no idea what I should or shouldn't eat.

First of all, I have no idea if going vegan helps with breast cancer specifically. But I reccomend you google the scientific literature rather than reply only on people's comments. Vegan foods contain less fat, which means less calories, so you need to eat more foods. It is sometimes harder to put on weight on a vegan diet. Eat MORE foods even after after you feel full, bigger portions, more snacks. Try some beans (protein) which are filling as well as nuts. Nuts contains fat and so fill you up more. Add a couple of slices extra bread/toast to your meal.

There is not much fat in veg and fruit. I am not convinced that's where you gained fat.

You can fill up on fruit and veg you just need to eat a lot of it. It gets boring after a while. Eat some crisps and biscuits some of the time as well.

Good luck!

Hello, Noelle! What has helped me add protein into my diet is things like nuts, chickpeas, and avocados. They are all very healthy for you and can really raise your protein levels. Plant Protein powder can also help, I recommend Orgain on Amazon, they have a creamy chocolate flavor which tastes great! Also, as a snack I love eating a Complete Cookie, it has around 300 calories, 16 grams of protein, 8 grams of fiber and is delicious! Last time I purchased online they gave me a 20% off coupon which you can use: BA72039