Oatmeal recipe

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I started eating a lot more oatmeal. And I'm trying to figure out how to cook it in a microwave.

I use soymilk instead of water. One third cup oats and 3/4 cup soymilk.

I've tried covered and uncovered. Full power and a few different reduced power settings. And between 3 minutes and 5 minutes. It either comes out too watery or it blows the top off the container or boils over.
I'm trying to be more systematic about my experiments but hey, this is oatmeal - it shouldn't be that complicated.
Does anyone have a quick and easy sure fire method?

I don't often microwave my cereal, unless reheating it. However, this method here works nicely. You could also use an oversized bowl, using this same method.

Reactions: Lou
Usually it was always 1 part rolled oats to 2 parts liquid (water or plant milk). Microwave on high for about 1 minute to 1 and a half minutes. Stir in your desired add-ins after, like peanut butter, dried fruits, nuts, etc.

I've become a fan of overnight oats, however, so now I let sitting in the fridge soaking in plant milk do the work of softening them up. If I want it warm, I can always pop it in the microwave after.

Reactions: Lou
Well, well, well. I went with the video. 60% power. 2.5 minutes. uncovered. And it was pretty close to perfect.
I'll try Kllyr's suggestion tomorrow. Wouldn't mind shaving off another minute of cooking time.

I used to make overnight oats too. I can't remember why I stopped. Going to add those in my regular rotation.