Advertisement
  1. Don't forget to participate in our Christmas competition! Click Here! for more information. :)
    Dismiss Notice

Omega 3 supplements

Discussion in 'Products' started by Lou, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Lou
    Happy

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Google News keeps finding good stuff for my News Feed.

I have been eating so good lately that I am not re-purchasing some of the supplements I have been taking. But I still want to take an Omega 3.

then this article pops up and it recommends a different brand than the one that I am taking. ( I had been taking Amala Vegan). A quick comparison and I'm going with the new recommendation from Purity Products.

Here is the article and the link to the product.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/vegan-omega-3-6-9-products-shop/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EVITLHE/?tag=onegrepla-20&th=1

• Like Like x 1
  2. StrangeOtter
    Torn

StrangeOtter Active Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Thank you for this. Omega 3 has been a complete mystery to me. I have relied on flax seeds and walnuts for Omega 3 but have been wondering if supplementation would be nessessary.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  3. Lou
    Happy

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I don't like walnuts. but I grind my own flax seed and add it to my oatmeal, smoothies, and salads. one to 3 tsp a day.

"The US Adequate Intake for adults is set at 1.1 to 1.6 grams of omega-3 per day, which is not a large amount to get from food. Foods that are particularly high in plant omega-3 are:
    • Canola oil
    • Walnuts and walnut oil
    • Flax
    • Chia seed
    • Soy oil
    • Avocado"
    - https://www.sharecare.com/health/omega-3-fatty-acids/best-omega-3-option-vegetarian

But there are several components of Omega 3. The best-known ones are ALA, DHA, and EPA. ALA is the only one found in plant food sources. Fortunately for us, ALA is also found in "microalgae", which is how they make vegan Omega 3 supplements.

Supposedly, our bodies can convert ALA to DHA and EPA, but the conversion process does not always work as well as we need. DHA and EPA are important for our health.

My conclusion. If you get adequate ALA you may not need to supplement DHA and EPA. but it's probably a good idea to supplement a little. The supplement referred to above suggests 2 capsules a day. I will just take one. Or if you have one of those little daily pill reminder things you can take one every other day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StrangeOtter
    Torn

StrangeOtter Active Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Thank you for that. Your explanation is very coherent and easy to understand. Perhaps I then buy supplements, just to be sure to get the right amount. Though I think that I am getting omega 3 pretty well, since I eat 1 tbsp or grounded, roasted flax seeds every other day with oatmeal, add canola oil to my pasta and eat walnuts occasionally.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  5. veganDreama

veganDreama Active Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 2 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Thanks for Sharing Lou.