Advertisement
  1. Don't forget to participate in our Christmas competition! Click Here! for more information. :)
    Dismiss Notice

Omega 3

Discussion in 'Food' started by PootieMac, Nov 17, 2018.

1. PootieMac

PootieMac New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Flexitarian
    Hello! I was wondering if 1-2 tbsp's of grounded flaxseeds a day would be enough omega 3 fatty acids or if I should take algae supplements as well?

2. Lou
    Happy

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +525 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Strange Otter and I were just discussing that over here
    https://veganforum.org/threads/omega-3-supplements.3273/#post-17417

In reviewing it I did discover a small error on my part. I wrote

But there are several components of Omega 3. The best-known ones are ALA, DHA, and EPA. ALA is the only one found in plant food sources. Fortunately for us, ALA is also found in "microalgae", which is how they make vegan Omega 3 supplements.

I should have written

But there are several components of Omega 3. The best-known ones are ALA, DHA, and EPA. ALA is the only one found in plant food sources. Fortunately for us, all the components of Omega 3 are found in "microalgae", which is how they make vegan Omega 3 supplements.

Anyway, check out the thread. I think I did a good job explaining a complicated topic.

Bottom line. The flax seed may be enough. but to be sure, take a supplement too.

3. TofuRobot
    Cold

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I would think that if you regularly consumed flax seeds and walnuts you're probably good. But I have an algae omega 3 supplement I take when I remember to (which isn't more than a couple x/week). Aside from B12 (toothpaste-based) and Vit D, it's the only supplement I have/take.

Lots, if not more, omnivores have deficiencies in these areas (especially B12 & vit D) so I don't think they are specific to vegans. I've been vegan for about 16 months, and just scheduled an annual physical. I'm interested specifically in my b12 levels. Will report back later on how that goes.

4. Lou
    Happy

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +525 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Flax seeds and walnuts and some other plant foods are good sources of the Omega 3 ALA. However, they contain little or no DHA and EPA. Our bodies do convert ALA to DHA and EPA. But it's a slow imperfect process and the "experts" in the field (including all our favourite WFPB diet doctors) don't think it can be relied on.

Vegans need to supplement their diets (somehow) with B12. And Vitamin D may be necessary for many of us. A DHA and EPA is probably a good idea too.

With most vitamins and minerals we usually say don't supplement but rely on getting adequate amounts by eating whole plant-based foods. DHA and EPA (like B12) aren't in plant foods so that means we have to supplement.

5. TofuRobot
    Cold

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Actually, it depends. If you're consuming 1.5 servings of chia seeds plus some ground flax and walnuts every day, you'd be getting enough not to need to supplement. For me personally, I don't do this every day, hence why I have a supplement on hand. Have you seen Footsoldier's vid on B12 toothpaste? He knew someone who was using it and actually had to cut back to using it only a couple times/week b/c he was getting too much.

My point was that these (B12 & Vit D especially) are issues for all people, not just vegans. The majority of people who are deficient in B12 omnivores, if you look at the actual numbers. I think many of us don't ever concern ourselves with any of this stuff until we become vegan and then people think it's just a "vegan problem," which isn't true, and puts people off of veganism in general.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mavrick45
    Fiendish

mavrick45 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Ortega makes Chia seed taco shells

I use these every time we have tacos and they are super yummy!

• Like Like x 2
  7. TofuRobot
    Cold

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have never seen those. Thank you!

8. mavrick45
    Fiendish

mavrick45 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    yeah! it's part of their 'Good Grains' line - which includes shells made from Chia, Lentils, Blue corn, Spinach, and Bell pepper

9. TofuRobot
    Cold

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I looked for them when I was shopping today - didn't see any. Went to their website and it doesn't show any in my area at all. :(