Advertisement

Organic or loose fruit and vegetables?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Lucie, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Lucie

Lucie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Do you buy organic vegetables or loose produce (which, generally is not organic)?. Both have environmental benefits- organic produce doesn't use fertilisers that contaminate water, harm and kill animals but is generally packaged in plastic whilst non-organic foods are much easier to find plastic-free but use these pesticides and fertilisers that damage the environment and hurt animals. I switch between both as I can't make up my mind on which is more environmentally and animal friendly-what are your thoughts?:)

2. Veganite
    Sunshine

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +272 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hello Lucie, and welcome to the forum.

I try to buy the dirty dozen in organic form. I actually prefer organic, but don't always buy it, unless it's on sale. As it turns out, sometimes the organic will be on sale for less than the non-organic. If it's only 20 cents per pound difference, I buy organic. There's other fruits and veggies that are not on the dirty dozen that I always buy organic as well...like bananas, for example. The price between non-organic and organic bananas is negligible.

The dirty dozen will vary from website to website, but you can see from this one below how it works. Some things are naturally resistant to pests, like onions. I never bother even looking for organic onions, asparagus, avocados, etc. I try to watch my budget, but I will keep as much organic as I can, when possible.

The fruits and vegetables on “The Dirty Dozen” list, when conventionally grown, tested positive for at least 47 different chemicals, with some testing positive for as many as 67. For produce on the “dirty” list, you should definitely go organic — unless you relish the idea of consuming a chemical cocktail. “The Dirty Dozen” list includes:
    • celery
    • peaches
    • strawberries
    • apples
    • domestic blueberries
    • nectarines
    • sweet bell peppers
    • spinach, kale and collard greens
    • cherries
    • potatoes
    • imported grapes
    • lettuce
    All the produce on “The Clean 15” bore little to no traces of pesticides, and is safe to consume in non-organic form. This list includes:
    • onions
    • avocados
    • sweet corn
    • pineapples
    • mango
    • sweet peas
    • asparagus
    • kiwi fruit
    • cabbage
    • eggplant
    • cantaloupe
    • watermelon
    • grapefruit
    • sweet potatoes
    • sweet onions
    Source

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jinendra Singh
    Balanced

Jinendra Singh Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    i prefer organic products which are mainly grown in the field area.
    My family is not dependent on any non-organic products as we grow a large number of vegetables and fruits.
    There is only one problem that is vegetables and fruits are seasonal so we need to take care of our supply and demand as we don't want to waste we also sell excess stuff in local market or vendors took fro us directly

4. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I'm not sure it's an either or thing. I can find at my local market organic loose produce. It's not even hard. But I live in California. We have lots of local organic growers.

At Trader Joe's I'm under the impression that all their food is organic. And although they have a lot of veggies and fruits in little packages - they still have a lot loose.

Not to boast but I even have some re-usable washable nylon bags. So I don't have to use the plastic bags at the grocery store. I buy organic no matter what list its on. I like organic in general because of the environmental issues of pesticides. I don't mind the killing of the bugs. I just don't like the poisons in the run-off.

Even though I have to pay a little more for organic, I am a believer in voting with my wallet. The more people buy organic - the more organic veggies and fruit there will be - and then it may become less expensive.

Nice little side note. at my local farmer's market, not all the produce is organic. but the ones that are organic have a certificate posted. They may be a little more expensive. We don't have many Head-To-Head competitions. But I noticed yesterday that the organic berry guy was more popular than the non-organic strawberry lady. Even tho his strawberry prices were higher.

5. veganDreama

veganDreama Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I buy organic where I can and non organic if there isn't any organic available.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hopeful
    Creative

hopeful Active Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I just found some of those online and ordered them!

I don't do the shopping for my family, but I think my wife mainly gets non-organic. I actually didn't know that non-organic produce harmed animals until I read this thread. I swear, sometimes you'd think I live under a rock. I am learning SO much about environmental issues here.

• Like Like x 1