Parents won't allow me to be vegan

Ev Lundy

Newcomer
Reaction score
So I love animals so much that it pains me every time I eat one. I've briefly brought up being a vegan or a vegetarian before, but my parents just laugh at me. To show them that I'm serious, I made a presentation to show them, but they still said no. My father even said that 'as long as you live under my roof, you will eat meat'. I really need help convincing them, please help!

Hmm. This is a really tricky one.

I'm presuming that your parents buy your food and cook it too. Perhaps you could offer to cook for the family a few times a week? You could make these meals vegan.

Maybe it's too much of a 'shock' to them. I appreciate you might want to just go vegan overnight, but getting your parents on board even a little will probably help. It gives them a chance to consider a change of diet for themselves. For instance if you are attempting to go vegan no matter what they might try to match the stubbornness like-for-like and in the end no change to your diet happens at all. I've seen this happen a few times.

Perhaps you could suggest week-day or weekend vegetarianism. Even pescetarianism? That's how I started out. I know it's not at all ideal but if they are meat-lovers then it will be tricky to get them to be receptive - see if you can find a way. You could suggest eating the same meals as them if they just prepare the meat separately: i.e. they make a roast meal, and you can just replace the meat for a nut roast or something. If you can get them to follow your lead this will be an amazing accomplishment. Unless you've got the pocket money to sort out your own meals.

See if you can find their reason for their resistance. Whether it's health (it can be hard to undo the conditioning of the animal agriculture industry), convenience, etc.. You could show them the vegan substitutes for meat and cheese if the word 'vegan' conjures up scary images of endless salads for them. Or explain that a vegan diet is generally cheaper.

It will be easier to try to address their concern if you know the real reason why they feel the way they do. If they are simply resistant because they consider meat a part of their 'culture' then perhaps you could suggest trying out a nearby veggie restaurant, or point out how many famous vegans there are (including President Bill Clinton as well as former Vice President Al Gore). Well done for doing a presentation - serious kudos! But perhaps they would be more open to a documentary? There are so many to choose from.

I hope you find these links useful. Do let us know how you get on, and if you have any further questions just ask!

http://vegyouth.com/choosing-veg/talking-to-your-parents/
Famous vegans and vegetarians:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegans
http://vegan.wikia.com/wiki/Famous_Vegans_and_Vegetarians
http://www.geni.com/projects/Famous-Vegetarians/14487

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I read the articles and will have to try it soon! I'm already eating vegan lunches at school, but I really hope that this will help convince my parents.

Reactions: winter.frost
I really hope you are able to convince them to let you go vegan. If it's the health reason, maybe you could visit the doctor with your mum or dad and have them check you out first. Some people say it's good to speak to your doctor before drastically changing your diet anyway (I did have a few little side effects when I was sort of detoxing when I first went vegan!).

As winter.frost suggested you could try asking them to watch a documentary, I can't imagine anyone not watching that and not understanding why you'd feel so strongly about wanting to go vegan.

I can tell you're determined to do it, and are being diplomatic about how you've gone about it with your presentation. It's a shame they don't seem too open to listening or giving you clear and honest answers about their concerns.

The best of luck and keep us updated! :)

Reactions: 1 person
Told my parents today when visiting them that I've been trying to live a vegan lifestyle and my Dad's exact words were "Who puts these stupid ideas in your head?"

Luckily I live on my own and buy my own food but I've had to eat meat for the last few years because of a similar situation to yourself.

I hope you are able to convince them but you have years ahead of you to change things. Just don't feel guilty for your current diet if it's out of your control.

HANG IN THERE!