Peta vs maryland crabbing

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
PETA is in another crazy battle.

BTW, full disclosure: I credit another one of PETAs crazy stunts that got my attention to look into Animal Rights. It might not be too far off to credit PETA with me converting to veganism.

So I guess its the Crabbing season in Maryland. Complete with a festival. And PETA has launched an offensive.
One prong of the attack is with billboards that say, " “I’m ME, Not MEAT. See the individual. Go vegan," next to a picture of a blue crab.

And of course, people are ******. One group put up their own billboard promoting eating crabs.

Whether you like PETA's tactics or not, you gotta love their response to the evening news.

In a statement to Fox News, PETA defended their marketing tactics.

“No compassionate person would boil an animal alive. Just like humans, crabs feel pain and experience fear, have unique personalities, and value their own lives, but a PETA investigation has shown that they endure agonizing deaths in order to be used for dinner — so if PETA's billboard encouraged even one Baltimorean to view these complex crustaceans as individuals and go vegan, then it worked like a charm in our mind,” said PETA's executive vice president, Tracy Reiman.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...its-back-at-petas-billboard-with-its-own.html

On a field trip I watched a fellow ES student play with a crab like it was a THING, a TOY..a crab that was still alive, in it's habitat on the beach, something that we are explicitly taught not to disturb. If you are an ES or even a Rec major at my school, "leave no trace" is beaten into your head so thoroughly, more of the students would get "also food" (don't get me wrong, many do, we have a ton of vegetarians and some vegans).

Anyway, this creep starts showing us the crab in Point Reyes, and we're all excited, like oh look what a nice crab ...and we were on an interp expedition, so we were to OBSERVE and RECORD (not disturb) ....we had been around observing the ocean and anemones and starfish, and no one is playing fast and loose with them like a six year old, and this ******* is just tossing this crab around like it's a slinky. I was mortified, and I didn't mince words with him. My cohorts supported me, but it was obvious he was defensive, like "whatever, what's the big deal."

I think that's the biggest sadness of my entire life. Working with other scientists, or interpreters, or environmentalists who tragically ignore animal sentience, I can deal with the grocery store clerk or the maid at the hotel being an unapologetic carnist, yes I know it's condescending but I'm like "oh they don't know better, or are afraid they'll lose their jobs." When I can no longer make excuses for people, I get super angry.

I love what PETA does.

Reactions: Lou