Advertisement

Pets for vegans

Discussion in 'General' started by gib, Aug 1, 2018.

Tags:
?

Should vegans own pets

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. gib
    Veggedout

gib Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Should vegans own pets? Your thoughts please

2. Sax
    Old Hag

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    As long as animals are being bred as pets they deserve to be cared for. It's unfortunate that the most popular pets are natural meat eaters and many other animals will die in order to feed them. But pets didn't ask to be born and shouldn't be sentenced to death for their nutritional needs, or set loose to fend for themselves. The problem of feeding pets should be solved by not breeding pets.

If I were an animal awaiting adoption I would hope for a vegan to take me home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Forest Nymph
    Jaded

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I loathe this ridiculous argument, just because as someone with an actual background in science related to animals and agriculture, we can't just let all the babies be free. It's a childish thought. If we merely freed caged domestic animals and put our companion animals out in the forest, it would be animal cruelty. If you study wildlife biology for even five seconds, you know that even wild animals who have been domesticated at too young of an age through being abandoned by the mother (or mother's death) that they can't even live in the wild - so why the hell would dogs, cats and pigs?

4. nobody

nobody Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Gary L. Francione has used the phrase “refugees of animal exploitation” to refer to domesticated animals and that is how I think of my cats, house guests who are refugees of animal exploitation, but they are captive house guests because I don’t let them outside. So it is not like it is a voluntary arrangement for them. Legally they are my property, but mentally they aren’t. Animals being thought of as property is not vegan. It is absolutely, 100% not vegan to buy a pet from a pet store or breeder but it is totally compatible with veganism to take one in from a shelter, or to take in a homeless stray domesticated animal.

The sad thing is that I have to feed my cats meat cat food which contributes to animal agriculture profits, but I see no other way before cultured meat cat food becomes available. Some vegans take the stance that they will only have a pet that can be vegan, such as dog, rabbit or guinea pig but something seems wrong with this to me. It is probably just because I like cats a lot.

But I can relate to vegans with that type of attitude somewhat because I would not want to care for an animal that needs other animals bred for it, such as one that needs to eat live animals. Sometimes, a boa constrictor or python who was born in captivity may end up at a shelter. They cannot be vegan and need to eat live mice or rats. What should be done with this animal (assuming it is illegal and not possible bring it back to Central/South America/Africa as the case may be to release it into the wild in its native habitat)? Should it be killed or should a non-vegan take it in? If a non-vegan should take it in, what if we got our wish and everyone went vegan and there were no non-vegans left? Would one of us step up and take this snake into our home and feed it mice, or would we euthanize it? That is an ethical dilemma.

With my cats, the difference is that the meat they eat is a by-product the human grade meat industry and the animals aren't bred to be pet food. But if I were feeding them whole carcasses of chickens or rabbits etc., it would be exactly the same ethically - breeding one animal to feed to another.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Forest Nymph
    Jaded

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Gary Francionne has done more to destroy the vegan movement by making it seem like an Ivory Tower privilege or "path of the fully righteous" than to help it. He mostly draws in middle class students who have the disposible income to think it's meaningful to just sit around on the internet and argue about things for the sake of personal purity. Meanwhile, Mr. Francionne, loud detractor from PETA, hadn't done half their corporate level legal change nor was he even vegan before Ingrid Newkirk poured his cows milk down the drain.

Mr. Francionnes opinions are impractical, ineffective, and gives liberal arts degrees a bad name. Bachelor's of Science, all the way, son. Give me science or the brutal acts of revolution by the unwashed agitators, but spare me your Communication major.

6. Deleted member 2263

Deleted member 2263 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Vegans dont "have" "pets".

Vve kinda dont misuse beings, nor as cuddleslaves.

Hovvever collaborating in life is different and frankly being paired up if you perceive life as a big corporation; purposes, costs etc., is not really vvrong.

Besides; use a leash and hinder a dog from getting outside vvithout your control; you end up controlled by needing to let it out and vvalking it (microbial necessity, empathic as vvell - neighbours kinda get affected also).

Its like pretty horrible that people get bound like that, using beings as tools to; also for such to take vvalks at specific hours, meetings specific people and connecting to and through; even the microbial auric presence. Its such an advantage to be minimalist; less "sticky" even vvhen vvalking.

-------------------------------------
    -------
    Let me tell you something real horrible:
    The very pets are addictive in nature; part of various routines and connectivity infrastructures etc.

Things "needed" for a structure to not fall apart; something many fear losing being there in the sheer amount of fear.
    The fear coming from things such as using pets and exploitation of humans etc. Hovvever the fear is only a channeled driver, used on another level; also like a leash dragging in a direction.

Its not that there is an objective dependence on these routines; hovvever due to unvvillingness to change, there are circumstances present causing it to, in not changing it being harmful, being a locked trajectory. Of continuing breeding.
    Its like the foodmaking rituals involving fleshintake; the particular movements, things hidden in the recipes; movements, neural patterns formed etc..
    Much of it is simply about seeking of superiority and povver; control.

See I am generally attempted pushed avvay vvith being;
    insane, drug addict, a kid, having issues overcoming teenage problems and things like that. Simply because I knovv and live by such as above. I am really getting tired of the very reality and part of earth I am connected to; I am even hindered leaving. "A repressed teenage rebellion comes eventually; saved and stored for later".

Luckily I knovv I need not change others nor try, I can just improve me; hovvever that also gets like hindered in something losing grip/hold of me/ability to control me..

I dont knovv hovv to count the number of leashes on me; possibly a little minimalism vvould help. Then that leash could be minimalized avvay.

Its the same for every single one of us; vvhether its a leash and neckband, debt etc. Vvorse is I at least just keep getting strung along. There seems to be countless vvays out though; I just kind of have an issue vvith ending up retaining Danish nationality - yet another leash - and to differ this is vvhere I vvas bred.

Its like; many might be hitting people, but to differ you hit me and others due to not having done so are very unlikely to doing the same. Hovvever Europe is about as shitty, so no thanks. I vvould select no passport if I could, hovvever not if hindered taking airplanes, (I like the US also and things get tvvisted here, but I am so angry and resentful currently that you vvould not believe it).

There is this song in Denmark; from marijuana using cultures:

Something about a big angry dog screaming "I vvant to get out out out". Its like energy channeled of not only dogs as it turns out, vvanting to get out.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2018
  7. Sax
    Old Hag

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
  8. Veganite
    Relaxed

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +418 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing!