Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Plant milk recipe help

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Lesley, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Lesley

Lesley Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Hi all

I've been making my own plant milk, it never lasts more than 24 hours before it completely separates. I shake it before using, however as soon as I pour it into a cup it separates again.

I am using a kilner jar to store the milk and refrigerate immediately. I usually make hazelnut milk, (I have previously used almonds, trying to avoid them as much as possible, cashews and oats) have tried soaking for a few hours to overnight with no change in the milk's freshness.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Lx

2. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi Lesley

I make my own plant milk as well and it separates, I understand that this is normal without some sort of emulsifier.

As for freshness, I would suggest heat treating in addition to/or instead of just soaking. When I prepare almonds for almond milk, I boil them, simmer them, let them cool then remove all the skins. Since this can take a little while, I do them in big batches and freeze the almonds afterwords. In this way I can make almond milk in minutes with already prepared and frozen almonds with a good blender. The almonds get blended first until fine, then the desired amount of water is added.

Using this method of heat treating my milk lasts for a few days (perhaps longer, I don't know, I always use it within a few days), but when separation occurs, it's simply a matter of shaking the container the milk is in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GraceAmelia

GraceAmelia Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Hey guys,

Making your own plant milk is such a good idea! I am definitely going to try that and post a video about it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2018