Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic awareness

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Damo, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Damo
    Mellow

Damo Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I don't think we talk enough about the use of plastic and the effects on the environment, plastic as you're probably aware is extremely robust meaning it's takes a stupid amount of time to decompose and by stupid I mean hundreds of years... According to online sources 22 billion bottles end up in landfill in the US alone, roughly 60 million a day how insane is that? I can't even imagine how 60 million bottles looks never mind 22 billion.

Sadly not all plastic can be recycled so whenever you see "currently not recyclable" on whatever you've bought it's likely going to end up in landfill for your lifetime 4/5 times over, or circling around our oceans for wildlife to consume which the probable outcome will be death. I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone here but rather open your eyes the same way you have done with veganism, plastic is undeniably bad for everyone and everything especially the environment, our plastic problem is only going to get worse if we continue to do nothing about it.

Get yourself a reusable bottle, yes I know plastic bottles are reusable but maintaining a clean bottle long term is hard so I think it's a little easier to maintain something that's actually designed to be used again and again. Just using this as an example because obviously it doesn't need to be that specific bottle, take one with you everywhere so you never have to buy bottled water ever again there's clean water everywhere so why pay for something you can get out of a tap for free?

In the UK supermarkets have started charging for carrier bags in hopes to reduce plastic bag waste, it's definitely working because I'm finding myself struggling walking out of Sainsbury's because I've forgotten my carrier bag for the 10th time and I refuse to keep hoarding carrier bags in my car, plus they cost 5p a bag. Reuse your bags, don't throw them away as they're just as bad as bottles!

Here's a fairly emotional short documentary regarding the plastic waste in our oceans. Contains graphic scenes!

I found an article at the beginning of the year about a girl called Nadia who collects litter on her 2 mile trip to school everyday, who doesn't want to be Nadia? Such an inspiration, take a bag with you the next time you go for a walk, bring the trash back home. Here's a link to Nadia's Facebook page for those who are interested.

TLDR; Plastic use is killing and destroying the environment, we need to limit our use and recycle as much as possible!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Veganite
    Lurking

Veganite Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I just recently watched a CBC Market Place episode on plastics found in water bottles (in the water itself). Evidently, people have been drinking microscopic bits of plastics in their bottled water for years without knowing it. The impact of just bottled water alone on the environment is more than obvious, especially in our oceans.

People think the older generation wasn't green, but we did not have all the plastics you see these days. While we didn't directly recycle as much of the glass back then, it still got re-used. Furthermore, glass is not toxic to the environment. We didn't get plastic bags at the grocery store back then either. It was all paper in those days. Having said that, many grocery stores are now taking a green approach here in Canada by eliminating plastic bags.

Personally, I stopped using plastics back when the science came out regarding BPA’s in plastics. I’ve used my own grocery bags now for many years. I avoid all plastics like the plague. It’s not just about the environment for me…it’s about poisoning both our bodies and environment with toxic chemicals. Oh, and don’t be fooled by all the ‘BPA free’ claims. The other chemicals in plastics are just as harmful as BPA’s. The best thing we can do is to stop using plastic as much as humanly possible.

Here's a short video explaining a bit about the other, not so talked about, chemicals in the plastics we use for food and beverage needs.

3. Sax
    Classy

Sax Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Accumulating on the ocean floor and inside sea creatures:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ana-trench-newcastle-university-a8058106.html

Recycling helps mitigate, but comes with it's own environment cost (carbon footprint of collecting, transporting, sorting and processing, redistributing the output). Minimizing the production of single-use plastics would help slow the problem. Sadly, there may not be any way to deal with most of the plastic already out there.

4. Veganite
    Lurking

Veganite Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I live by the ocean. It always disgusts me when I go for a walk down at the beach and see all the debris floating around and drifting up onshore. I'm glad I don't eat fish, when I see all the pollution. I just feel sorry for all the innocent marine life that's been impacted by this horrible atrocity.

I get angry when people tell me they're going on a cruise. While cruise ships may only be a small part of the problem, I still boycott them. I've seen too many strings of balloons and party favors washed up on the beach. I know they didn't fall off of fishing boats. How long does it take before we get it?

That huge tide of plastic looked familiar. We had a similar one here in the Pacific Ocean, except ours is radiated from fallout from the Fukushima disaster. I find it so unsettling that no one talks about this radiation pollution that's still puking into the Pacific to this very day.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ushima-plant-still-flowing-ocean-study-finds/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ive-nuclear-waste-pacific-ocean-a8077481.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/one-of...ighest-density-of-plastic-trash-ever-recorded

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/06/ninety-nine-percent-oceans-plastic-missing

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents....inds-south-pacific-plastic-patch-bigger-india

Even more disturbing facts on the garbage patch: http://garbagepatch.net/greatpacificoceangarbagepatchfacts/

5. hopeful
    Creative

hopeful Active Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan

I seriously never would have thought of that. I am really glad you said it, because I have thought it would be great to go on a cruise in the future. Your point is excellent. Thank you! I really had no idea.

• Like Like x 1