Advertisement

Pregnant and vegan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by amber_ll, Oct 8, 2018.

1. amber_ll

amber_ll New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

i've been vegan for over 8 years now, and am now pregnant, just wondering if there are any others here with experience on having a vegan pregnancy. I'm taking vegan friendly pregnancy supplements to get enough folic acid etc.
    Just want to hear about your experiences. Also, i'm not going to mention anything to the health care provider as its a bit misunderstood here in Chile and I don't have the patience to listen to their meat and dairy focused recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

2. Lou
    Spooky

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I've never been pregnant, but Alicia Silverstone has been vegan, has had one child and written several books on veganism.

The Kind Mama is her book on pregnancy. and the Kind Life is her vegan blog.

Also sometimes pregnant vegans go back to being vegetarian when PG. One reason often cited is the cravings. Natalie Portman stopped being vegan when pregnant. cause of cookies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sax
    Depressed

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    With the caveat that I know nothing about pregnancy, I'd remind the OP that there isn't a single nutrient in animal products that can't be obtained from a healthier, non-animal source. I believe in listening to your body, but if it's telling you to eat a cheeseburger then you should tell it to shut the hell up. Well, not really. You should still listen to your body. But it may be speaking the language of carnism to tell you to get more iron or protein etc. Translate to veganism and don't give in to the cravings.

But, if you do slip up, anyone who judges you is a jerk.