Quantities for beans

marknewvegan1

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi

I am trying to work out what quantities to use in recipes for beans and grains such as quinoa.
I always cook beans from dry, if I could get an idea of how much of each to put into a meal for one that would be helpful please. I realise you need to combine both beans and grains to obtain complete protein.

Kind regards
Mark

I usually just cook however much came in the package and use as much as I want in my meal, saving the rest for later.

I believe the concept of combining particular foods to obtain complete protein has been debunked.

Sax is right about the "the concept of combining particular foods to obtain complete protein has been debunked."

Frances Moore-Lappé, in her book Diet For A Small Planet, originally proposed the idea of protein combining. That was in 1971* and based on 100-year-old studies. In her 1981 version of the same book she recanted and said that most plant-based diets require no special food combinations. This has got to be the most persistent nutrition myth ever.

Plants are almost all complete proteins.

However, then there is real life. All the whole Food plant-based diets suggest at least 3 servings of beans and at least three servings of grains**. And if you have 3 meals a day, then somewhere you are going to have a meal that combines grains and beans.

I was never a big fan of Beans and Rice. Until I went to a new Cuban restaurant and had their Cuban Black Beans and Rice.
Now its become one of my favorite meals. I make a big pot of Cuban Black Beans on the stove. *** I then separate it into one cup portions and freeze most of them. Just keep one cup in the frig and add it to one cup rice for a super quick and nutritious lunch.

I also like to do the same thing with regular black beans to add to salads. When I add it to salads I add just 2 - 3 tbsp.

According to Gregar,
A serving =
1⁄4 cup hummus or bean dip
or 1⁄2 cup cooked beans, split peas, lentils, edamame, tofu, or tempeh
or 1 cup fresh peas or sprouted lentils

* I still have my copy

** this may be where there is the most divergence among the big WFPB diet gurus. Fuhrman suggests only one serving of grains a day if you are trying to lose weight. Gregar recommends 3. and I think McDougall doesn't set any limits.

***my crock pot is sort of small so I can only make two servings of it at a time - but it requires less attention - so i'm not sure which I prefer - maybe another good reason to get that Instant Pot I have been dreaming about,

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Hi

Thank you for the information. I can reccommend the instant pot. I actually have 2 of them. They allow you to cook the beans straight from dry. With a delay timer it can make things a lot easier.

Kind regards
Mark

Can you recommend an InstaPot? I've seen the InstaPot- 6 quarts for $80. but there are also different brands.

I have the 6 quart Instant Pot and it works great for 3-5 lbs of potatoes or 2-4 cups of beans etc.

and Mark, Dr Greger's Daily Dozen check list recommends 1.5 cups of beans/lentils per day, I don't eat that amount and I wish I did, I try

Emma JC

@Emma JC,
Yeah, that is about a half cup = a serving, and 3 servings a day.

I have been adding garbanzo beans to all my salads, hummus to my bagels, I regularly have black beans and rice for lunch, and tofu stir-frys for dinner.

I would probably always be short of three servings a day, too. But I supplement with soymilk. I add soy milk to my oatmeal. Use soymilk in my smoothies. And sometimes I just drink it straight. At least one serving a day.

Reactions: Emma JC
The beans I buy come in a tin whether it be kidney, cannellini or just mixed beans and I tend to use the entire tin to feed around 2 adults. Sometimes I mix half and half and cook some rice and mixed salad to go with it :)

Hi

The problem I have is that i am mildly sensitive or allergic to Soy. Everything else I can eat. If I consume soy on a regular basis it causes me problems.

For breakfast I consumer about 3/4 cup of grains, lunch 1/4 cup beans and dinner 1/4 cup of lentils. I guess that is probably enough? I have given all as dry quantities. I eat vegetables on top with lunch and dinner. Also eat 2-3 pieces of fruit per day; If I get hungry I just eat more

The instant pot I use is simiar to this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K

The only thing I would say is that the bean cooking times need to be increased. Red kidney beans i use 34 minutes and chick peas 50 minutes. Lentils 1 min under pressure, although you get better results boiling them without the lid on.

Kind regards
Mark

I have got a smaller pressure cooker that is electric, its cheaper than the instant pot, but not as good. The instant pot is very good.

Try using pressure cookers to speed the cooking, but tinned beans certainly cook much quicker. I'm making a mean chilli tonight! :p