Advertisement
  1. Don't forget to participate in our Christmas competition! Click Here! for more information. :)
    Dismiss Notice

Re-using, recycling, new uses for old things.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by alleycat, Nov 20, 2018.

1. alleycat

alleycat Active Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I got the idea for this thread from this one. https://veganforum.org/threads/dilemma-about-an-antique-brass-birdcage.3209/
    My gardening bench is an old door on a couple of saw horses, an old microwave is a cupboard for seed storage, an old wine holder is now used for holding small hand tools, old baking racks make good shelving and drainage trays, old kitchen cutlery is useful for getting into small areas.
    An old dressing table has been used for planting strawberries, an old ice bucket sits under the tap half filled with stones makes an extra bird bath. Old baths make good garden beds.
    Any old cotton clothes beyond being reused are used as mulch. Even my cats are useful to the birds, the loose hair I brush off them I leave little tufts near the bird baths in late winter early spring . The willy wagtails, finches, friar birds and ravens seem to make the most use of it.
    Any body else have some ideas to share ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. alleycat

alleycat Active Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    In the sewing room an old wardrobe is used for storing material, patterns etc, old milk crates stack in there very nicely. An old kitchen bench makes for extra work space. Jars with screw top lids for storing buttons, and other small odds and ends.
    We have an industrial hose shop near us and have managed to get some reels of different sizes. With a cushion on top 1 is used as a foot rest, 1 I am doing up to be a coffee table. I am waiting for some carpet off cuts from the local carpet shop to wrap around another one for the cats to use as a new scratching post.