Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello đź‘‹,
I am part of a Facebook group called Vegans Vs. Non-Vegans. It’s a debating group. Please look it up, you might be able to help in the fight for the animals on there…
Anyhow, on there, I sometimes interact with a farmer guy in the USA (I am in the UK). He showed a photo of a bull/bullock/steer (probably a steer) and said he’s going to chopped up (slaughtered) this week. He also said (in a different post) about a batch of chickens he’s going to send to slaughter soon.
What can I do to save them? What can I do to persuade him to change his mind? Would an animal sanctuary be able to help? Would an animal rights group over there be able to help persuade him to change his mind? Would contacting Gary Yourofsky or Emily from Bitesize Vegan be helpful?
Time is running out, and, if they are to be saved, I need any good suggestions asap.
Thanks for all your help in advance.

Hello đź‘‹,
I am part of a Facebook group called Vegans Vs. Non-Vegans. It’s a debating group. Please look it up, you might be able to help in the fight for the animals on there…
Anyhow, on there, I sometimes interact with a farmer guy in the USA (I am in the UK). He showed a photo of a bull/bullock/steer (probably a steer) and said he’s going to chopped up (slaughtered) this week. He also said (in a different post) about a batch of chickens he’s going to send to slaughter soon.
What can I do to save them? What can I do to persuade him to change his mind? Would an animal sanctuary be able to help? Would an animal rights group over there be able to help persuade him to change his mind? Would contacting Gary Yourofsky or Emily from Bitesize Vegan be helpful?
Time is running out, and, if they are to be saved, I need any good suggestions asap.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
I suppose the premise of the group is respectful debate, but already it sounds like mudslinging and trolling.
What can you do about those animals? Nothing. To play devils advocate, it sounds like a small rancher/farmer who's probably better at animal welfare than the billions of animals in confined factory farms, like Tyson or Perdue

Reactions: KLS52
What can I do to save them?
Probably nothing. This does happen every day on most farms around the world and it's not something we can do much about once animals have been created. You could ask him directly and see if he's open to selling them to you, but really, it's not going to make much differnce because he will then just choose another animal to be killed. And to be fair as Silva notes, this steer has probably had a pretty good life to this point unlike the billions of CAFO farmed animals. In the scheme of things it is not so bad.

As to the group, I would steer clear of that one. There are quite a few around like that, they usually are pretty toxic. The best one I have found and to which I still belong is the Vegans or Omni? group where the mods keep things reasonably balanced. I have stayed with that one, though overall it doesn't really do much more than most. Mostly going round in circles. If you want a more genuine group to discuss veganism and animal welfare with actual farmers, try the Vegans and Farmers Discussions group. That's much more serious with some excellent discussions at times. But in that group you just have to accept farmers aren't changing their minds, it's really about learning and sharing info.