Severe bloating

Paris

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have switched to a vegan lifestyle the past two months after educating myself on animal cruelty and the various health benefits. I don't think I could ever return to eating meat again after knowing what I have learned, although I'm facing some challenges. I was diagnosed with leaky gut syndrome and I've been having issues with food sensitivities (although I'm not exactly sure to what) and I've tried various "diets" before switching to a vegan lifestyle. I am slightly underweight, but it's not due to lack of eating. I have been experiencing bloating that is extremely uncomfortable since I made this decision to go vegan. I eat EXTREMELY healthy. Absolutely no processed foods, I'm oil free, and I hit every single one of my macro and micronutrients daily (I track my food right now until I make sure I'm accurate gauging my portions). I have questioned whether I have issues with carb sensitivities because prior to going vegan I tried a keto diet and that showed the best results of the diets I have tried. I know many people will suggest going on a low-carb, high-fat vegan diet, but my concern is calories. I am unfortunately allergic to nuts (which are high in calories and fat) and I can only eat so many avocados, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc in a day. How can I do this while boosting my caloric intake? My goal is to gain quite a few pounds, but I have a difficult time reaching around 2,300 calories whilst eliminating carbohydrates. I always start every morning with steel oats and fruit, but end up feeling disgustingly full and bloated for half the day and have to force feed myself when its lunch time. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you so much and I look forward to a reply! :)

I'm not sure if I can help, I was diagnosed with gastritis about three months ago so being vegan was easy and hard at the same time. I do not eat salads (lettuce is high in acidity so its an instant no for me & I don't even like them) and I cannot eat tomatoes nor onions. Anything dairy is out of the question since I was also diagnosed being lactose intolerant (that made that transition easier)! I had the help of my grandmother who has IBS, so she gave me a lot of tips like: don't drink any citrus drinks, soda, tea (caffeine), coffee, don't eat spicy foods, any kind of nuts and nothing three hours before bed. I asked my GI a lot a lot a lot of questions and, not being the easiest way to find out what doesn't help your tummy, I ate all that I could so I would find out what hurts me. I don't know diets, nor special remedies...I was on Protonix for a while which did me wonders but also helped me keep my diet strict. I am now off those pills (my own decision I haaate pills) and I rarely get any irritations. For me it was all trial and error and help from my doctor. Everyone is different..if something makes you bloated and uncomfortable - remove it - from your diet and try something different, do not continue a strict by the book diet! use it as a reference maybe but find the grove that works for you!
here is my diet in case you were wondering.....

Breakfast:
  • gluten free/whole grain cereal w/ almond milk
  • plain oatmeal
  • smoothie (sometimes I can only have very little - not much of a fruit eater)
Lunch:
  • baked/grilled/steamed veggies! (RAW VEGGIES ARE NOT MY FRIEND)
  • Quinoa and brown rice is my safe havennnnnnn (always organic)
  • sometimes I have field roast sausage (soy free of course!!) MY FAV THING IN THE WORLD
Dinner:
  • the same as lunch most of the time
  • or, beyond meat tacos!
  • Eggplant pasta
  • or veggie patties with portobello mushrooms
Snacks/Dessert:
  • carrots (only veggie I can eat raw)
  • hummus (very rare)
  • I force some fruit in there occasionally
  • vegan popcorn
  • dairy free ice cream! yum :)
I hope I helped! I am no professional and this might not work for you but I hope you take something from this. I am still figuring it all out myself. Good luck!

I'm not sure if I can help, I was diagnosed with gastritis about three months ago so being vegan was easy and hard at the same time. I do not eat salads (lettuce is high in acidity so its an instant no for me & I don't even like them) and I cannot eat tomatoes nor onions. Anything dairy is out of the question since I was also diagnosed being lactose intolerant (that made that transition easier)! I had the help of my grandmother who has IBS, so she gave me a lot of tips like: don't drink any citrus drinks, soda, tea (caffeine), coffee, don't eat spicy foods, any kind of nuts and nothing three hours before bed. I asked my GI a lot a lot a lot of questions and, not being the easiest way to find out what doesn't help your tummy, I ate all that I could so I would find out what hurts me. I don't know diets, nor special remedies...I was on Protonix for a while which did me wonders but also helped me keep my diet strict. I am now off those pills (my own decision I haaate pills) and I rarely get any irritations. For me it was all trial and error and help from my doctor. Everyone is different..if something makes you bloated and uncomfortable - remove it - from your diet and try something different, do not continue a strict by the book diet! use it as a reference maybe but find the grove that works for you!
here is my diet in case you were wondering.....

Breakfast:
  • gluten free/whole grain cereal w/ almond milk
  • plain oatmeal
  • smoothie (sometimes I can only have very little - not much of a fruit eater)
Lunch:
  • baked/grilled/steamed veggies! (RAW VEGGIES ARE NOT MY FRIEND)
  • Quinoa and brown rice is my safe havennnnnnn (always organic)
  • sometimes I have field roast sausage (soy free of course!!) MY FAV THING IN THE WORLD
Dinner:
  • the same as lunch most of the time
  • or, beyond meat tacos!
  • Eggplant pasta
  • or veggie patties with portobello mushrooms
Snacks/Dessert:
  • carrots (only veggie I can eat raw)
  • hummus (very rare)
  • I force some fruit in there occasionally
  • vegan popcorn
  • dairy free ice cream! yum :)
I hope I helped! I am no professional and this might not work for you but I hope you take something from this. I am still figuring it all out myself. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply! Any advice is helpful. You are absolutely right when you said don't follow a strict by the book diet. I've been trying so desperately to resonate with other people's eating habits in hopes it will work for me. Also I find it interesting you said raw vegetables did not sit well with you. I am finding I experience the most bloating after my "super veggie salad" which consists of all raw vegetables. I thought it had to be just me since everyone praises the benefits of eating raw veggies, but I'll try cooking them and see if that helps. I really appreciate your reply!

Reactions: s.nflwr