Advertisement

Since going vegan i feel depressed again

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by ski, Oct 23, 2018.

1. ski

ski Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    in a sense of just looking around seeing people eat meat at home when i go out in my head i am saying to myself no one cares i bet everyone i interact with today is not vegan what is the point i know this is the wrong way to look at it but it is how i feel

2. Vegan Uprise

Vegan Uprise Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I know how you feel, it is heartbreaking that people still support animal cruelty, however many people are not aware. Try to ignore the bad things people are doing and try to look at the good parts about the person, try to have a more positive view on this world. Instead of thinking about all the people who are not vegan, think about all the people who are turning vegan. We can spread the word of veganism by showing how positive and healthy we are to make people think veganism is cool. We can't help animals if we can't help ourselves

• Like Like x 2
  3. ski

ski Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    nice to know that someone else feels this way i am not the type to talk about veganism to friends / family it seems to go in one ear and out the other i guess i need to just surround myself with like minded people **** gets so lonely when you feel like the alien in the room

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vegan Uprise

Vegan Uprise Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    yeah, If educating them doesn't help, try being the most influential and positive person so they might take veganism seriously
    I Hope What i said helps

• Like Like x 2
  5. Forest Nymph
    Wishful

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I do this sometimes, even after four years, I'm like "grr my cohort and some of my professors are such freaking hypocrites" and then one of my roommates is vegan, but then the other only cut out "red meat" for the environment (we're trying to convince her otherwise but as our housemate we can't exactly steamroll her over) and when I was working on a campground in a more conservative area during the summer I practically wanted to run back home to where I live, at least.

So I get it. Those feelings are real, and they're not necessarily temporary.

I've actually had to get into meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy in order to live with my responses. It's not good for you to feel that way all the time, and unless you're using it to go rescue animals from labs or farms, it's not helping anyone else either. If you let yourself be miserable then you'll be too drained to help the animals (or environment, whatever).

I recommend you look up some meditations that appeal to you, and also try to focus on what you can do rather than what you can't (on the campground, I started a recycling program and talked about my veganism openly but casually, and that was like worst case scenario because I had no suburban or urban or university outlet to DO anything organized) ...also practice self-care, there's something called "activist burn-out" and "empathy burn-out" that affects people with the sort of personalities you and I seem to have. You cannot think about the end of the world all of the time and be sane.

Good luck.

6. ski

ski Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    before being a vegan id look at the "crazy vegans" and be like **** no way id be like come to find out i might be one of those people on the inside soon to active

7. Forest Nymph
    Wishful

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hmm. I was never like that, I started trying to be vegetarian in childhood and had battles with my family, and by high school I kind of admired vegans, but I almost looked at them like they were stronger people than I was, and I didn't completely "get it" then either, I thought they were like monks or priests, like "special people."

And that's another reason I don't advocate simply having people "accept" us, because I remember how my teenaged self saw vegans, and if all my friends who eat meat see is a "special" person who is so "strong" then that's not going to prompt them to actually change their own way of life.

What did help me though was knowing vegans. The first time I tried when I was young, I wasn't sure what I was doing and felt insecure about it, being in a culture of vegans through doing yoga and going on yoga retreats, and having access to people around my age making channels on YouTube - or rather, discovering that it existed, the Vegan Zombie has been around like ten years, I just didn't know it - and being pushed to LOOK, LOOK, LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING.

So never be silent, that's what I say.

8. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I think that being aware of your reaction to non-vegans is the first step to changing those reactions. There is currently way too much, these days, of "us" and "them" and you see it playing out violently this past week. We are all one, flesh and blood and all at different levels of self awareness. Self righteous indignation is an easy emotion to reach for when so many aspects of life are polarized.

Let's try to be tolerant of others' journies as most of us were there, too, just a short time ago. We can dislike a behaviour without demonizing the person and we can agree to disagree without being hateful or depressed. Let's work on those things as we work on saving the animals, the environment and our health.

Emma JC

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 4