Skin help!

LisaV

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi, apologies if this has been posted before.

I've been vegan for about a year now. The last few months my skin has aged terribly. I'm still in my 20's. Just always had a young complexion and now it's dry, I feel my jowels are starting to appear, I have loads of lines where I never even had a crease. I've found it shocking and quite upsetting how bad it's gotten.

I've been reading that a vegan diet lacks certain oils and amino acids etc that contribute to elasticity of the skin and this all makes sense for me. Can anyone recommend any supplements or changes that would help me? I don't want to stop my vegan diet but at this rate I'll look 50 when I'm 30 :(

Thank you x

I've been vegan for about a year now. The last few months my skin has aged terribly. I'm still in my 20's. Just always had a young complexion and now it's dry, I feel my jowels are starting to appear, I have loads of lines where I never even had a crease. I've found it shocking and quite upsetting how bad it's gotten.

I've been reading that a vegan diet lacks certain oils and amino acids etc that contribute to elasticity of the skin and this all makes sense for me. Can anyone recommend any supplements or changes that would help me? I don't want to stop my vegan diet but at this rate I'll look 50 when I'm 30 :(

Thank you x

I've been reading that a vegan diet lacks certain oils and amino acids etc that contribute to elasticity of the skin and this all makes sense for me.

This is nonsense. Plants make all the essential amino acids you need. As for oils, I'm not sure what you're talking about. What "oils" do plants lack that animals have?

I've been vegan for close to five years and have great skin for my age. If you want to know what veganism does to skin, look up the doctors and scientists who promote veganism on YouTube. Neil Barnard, Melanie Joy, and Janice Stanger are good examples. I bet you won't be able to guess their age.

Of course, if you're vegan and you smoke, or you drink to excess, or you eat only junk food, or you spend a lot of time in the sun without sunscreen, then you can expect to have bad skin, as well as other health problems. In fact, you are likely to have fewer problems as a vegan than you would as a meat-eater, but that never seems to stop anyone from blaming a vegan diet for anything and everything that would be seen as a normal part of life if it happened to a meat-eater.

In fact, you are likely to have fewer problems as a vegan than you would as a meat-eater, but that never seems to stop anyone from blaming a vegan diet for anything and everything that would be seen as a normal part of life if it happened to a meat-eater.

Well said poivron.

I would recommend consulting the wisdom of Plantmuncher in post 16 of https://veganforum.org/threads/hair-loss.1813/

Roger.

PS. Where have you gone, Plantmuncher? I’ve missed you.
And Markmywordz? Don’t tell me that on one of your forays to the Lake District you fell off Sharp Edge. ;)

Last edited:

Thank you x

A vegan diet is great for weightloss , controlling diabetes , and overall health. It would help to know your Macro percentages. Are you on a very low fat /no added oil vegan diet?

Dry skin is not an uncommon complaint among vegans.

A newer vegan person often mentions concerns of dry skin. (usually very trim people)

So, why do some vegan people report absolutely no dry skin issues?

If you are of a heavier build when you go vegan, dry skin is not normally an issue as you have a large pool of fatty acids in your tissue reserves to draw upon.

If your vegan diet is not the lowfat 80/10/10 or not hypocaloric , and incorporates more fats (nuts/seeds/avocados etc....) dry skin is not normally an issue.

Take a good long look at the guy on the left. Keep in mind the source when you read this post.

I usually donate blood products on Saturday mornings. Thus, I drink about a gallon and a half of diet caffeine-free soda on Fridays. I find that rehydrating the body makes me look way younger.