Something yummy besides oil to put on my popcorn to make the salt stick

kylefoley76

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Of the stereotypical fun foods not many of them are healthy. One of them though is popcorn. I'm going to put a salt substitute on them but it's hard to find something to make the popcorn stick. Butter is non-vegan of course. Another thing is flaxseed oil. The problem with flaxseed oil is that it has so many calories. One bowl of popcorn and about 20 ml of flaxseed oil I think is around 700 calories, maybe more. Does anyone know of some other way that I can get the salt substitute to stick to the popcorn without using oil? Eating popcorn without salt is out of the question.

I saw someone once use a fine-mist spray bottle and they would spray their popcorn with water to help get the salt to stick.

I also saw some suggestions to spray with Bragg's aminos or soy sauce (fine mist again, or the popcorn will get soggy).

Finally, there's vegan butter... but yeah that's basically oil.

Reactions: Lou and Nekodaiden
I saw someone once use a fine-mist spray bottle and they would spray their popcorn with water to help get the salt to stick.

I also saw some suggestions to spray with Bragg's aminos or soy sauce (fine mist again, or the popcorn will get soggy).

Finally, there's vegan butter... but yeah that's basically oil.

I don't know this stuff

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bra...3AVU8Sl1hoCowIQAvD_BwE&pdp=t3#product-details

has 6000 mg of sodium per 100 ml. That's a lot. The whole point of using a salt substitute was to cut down on sodium so by using that spray I wouldn't be reducing the sodium.

Same with Marinade spray

https://jet.com/product/Marinade-Sp...1aRdu0kBttmwDY73K2Vz452vTYQhfU6hoCCSAQAvD_BwE

Then the water suggestion at the beginning is probably the better approach since you can control how much salt you shake on after.

Really? You can spray water on your popcorn and that will cause the salt to stick? I find that hard to believe but I'll give it a try.

I said I saw someone do it. Don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work. :p

That's got to be better than the way I do it. Since I stopped using oil (excepting the few drops I use of sesame sometimes), I stopped putting it on popcorn and ran into the same problem. I wound up dipping my fingers in water then letting it drip while I shake the popcorn around to get it coated. Results - it gets coated and much of the salt sticks but some of it is a little too wet.

The fine mist idea seems like a good one. Perhaps with a little apple cider vinegar in there as well. Hey! Maybe even the salt too!

I agree, the misting of liquid is the best way to go. My friend does that with her popcorn. She mists hers with an oil spritzer, but you barely even notice it. She likes nutritional yeast on hers, which is delicious. It sticks nicely, and it's not greasy at all.

The fine mist idea seems like a good one. Perhaps with a little apple cider vinegar in there as well. Hey! Maybe even the salt too!

Oooh apple cider vinegar sounds like it would be good!