EU South American Fruit Trees (Amazon Forest Gardening)

hanging-tomatoes

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Where can I find a list of fruit trees that grow in the Amazon?

I'm currently eating a mostly raw vegan diet, and I'm trying to transition to fruitarian diet. But I live in Northern Europe, and the fruit options here are very limited. Obviously I'd be better living some place topical, and I've been seeing some posts from some sustainable communities in South America.

Specifically, there seems to be many permaculture projects in the Amazon that are able to grow their own fruits in fruit-heavy forest gardens. I've learned about a lot of new exotic fruits from some of their videos, but what I really want is a comprehensive list of all the fruits that one can grow in the Amazon.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of fruits that grow in the Amazon (native and non-native)?

I have a different question - you say you live in Northern Europe and yet your "Location" is Ecuador which is in the rainforest.... no? BTW I did use the google machine to discover that Ecuador is in the rainforest, maybe you could also use it to find a list of fruit trees in your area, if windows are not available? I agree with @g0rph .... sorry for all the sarcasm, hard to resist.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Hi, @hanging-tomatoes ...

I'm not a dietician, so I can't fully address how healthy a fruitarian diet is. I do know that all grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds are fruits, botanically, and I eat a lot of them (especially the first two). But I also eat leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale, as well as potatoes, so I'm not fruitarian. I also supplement with vitamin B-12.

I think you'd be able to grow a wide variety of legumes- they generally love warm climates!- and I'm pretty sure you'd be able to grow corn, which also does well in warm weather. I'm not sure about other grains, but I don't know that they won't grow in the tropics. I think sunflowers would do well there, also; sunflower seeds are another staple of mine. I think coconuts would grow there also, but they're not that healthy a food: they're high in saturated fat and low in protein. I think the same holds true for Brazil nuts. You can still eat both coconuts and Brazils, of course; you'd use up at least some of the calories cracking the blasted things! :sweat::laughing: (I speak from experience).

There's a great agroforestry community in Ecuador (Lumicon) that has a list on their website of over 200 plants that they grow.

* List of Plants

Many of them are fruit trees, and it also includes many natural and native species to the region, which is in Napo provence – that's the Ecuadorian Amazon Jungle.

They're also a frugivorous vegan community, so you may want to check them out :)