Status
Not open for further replies.

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Star Trek :)

I’m interested to see if we, as vegans and also probably hyper conscientious, have a preference to Star Trek or Star Wars... or neither :)

Or maybe there is no relationship and this is just a fun exercise.

Live long and prosper

Star Trek.

Now, I've seen every Star Wars movie. but I am not a huge fan of the whole thing.
Probably a little illogically. Back when the first Star Wars movie came out I was living way-out-there and drove hours to a city where I could see it. My expectations were high and I was somewhat disappointed. I thought the Storm Troopers outfits were absurd. They looked like plastic. Even back then I was a big SF reader. and felt that it was derivative and not original (since then I've learned that was intentional - but still). Hey. Are those sandworm skeletons?

When I was in High School, back before there were VCRs, Star Trek was the only show on my must-see list. Now I think we call it something like "appointment TV". The show was way ahead of its time. And did what science fiction should do: examine our society from a different perspective. Admittedly, a little heavy handed at times. Who can forget the war of the people who had half black faces and the people who had half white faces? Watching it now - it doesn't hold up well. The special effects, costumes (mini skirts), makeup, and sets now look cheesy and laughable. But believe me, back then it was cutting edge.

Since then Star Trek has always had a special place in my heart. Although to be honest the new stuff isn't that good.

Oh by the way. Both Spock and Riker have stated they don't eat meat. (the characters - not the actors.)

Isn’t it funny that Trekkies don’t like Star Wars and vice versa? I like to call that phenomenon the Star Trek Wars lol

:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Forest Nymph
ranked from best to worst (that I have seen):

Star Wars IV-VI
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Star Wars I-III

-------

these are all the same mediocre quality to me:
Star Trek Motion Pictures 1-6
Star Wars - anything I didnt mention yet
Star Trek TNG Movies
Star Trek Chris Pine Movies

Reactions: betiPT
Has anyone watched Discovery?

IMHO The Orville is the best new Star Trek... ouch!!! Yes, I know it’s not a Star Trek... but it should have been :)

I like Discovery, but The Orville is brilliant.

Reactions: mavrick45
Oh most definitely Star Wars. Star Trek scared me as a child, my grandpa liked old 60s and 70s sci fi, and sometimes I liked the old shows he subjected me to (most recently, both my co-worker and classmate wanted to know how I knew Laurel and Hardy were the inspiration for Stan and Ollie, and that I cared enough to go see it in theatre) BUT his old sci-fi freaked me out. Seriously. I hate Star Trek and Planet of the Apes. I didn't even go see the reboot of Planet of the Apes, despite being vegan and it getting a thumbs up from PETA. I am too traumatized by images of people in fake gorilla costumes wearing 60s floral print dresses.

Star Wars was closer to my generation, in at least that my uncle, my mom's younger bro, was into it. I saw the Ewoks one as a child, and naturally that hooked me, because I've been an animal person since birth (like I was placed in the world with a job and had to do it, I remember when I looked at Emily from Bite Size Vegan and wondered why I didn't go vegan like her as a child, then I remembered I tried to be vegetarian and my family actually wouldn't let me until middle school.)

I also "feel" a lot of Star Wars in Twin Peaks, which is my personal obsession. If you want to know my sci-fi obsession, it's pretty much anything by David Lynch, but Twin Peaks is my symbolic map to the universe. True story. My best friend and I watched the original 90s version as thoughtful, curious adolescent girls and later as an adult I actually came to understand it, or at least start to understand it.

Incidentally, a couple of days ago I was walking through my village (I live in a village, why call it a town) and an old man, the sort who just hangs out in the plaza either because he's transient or because he's part of that sort of crowd, approached me on the sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon in front of a pizza parlor with a manilla folder and he opened it suggestively, as if he was opening his rain coat to show me his private parts, and instead there was some sort of artistic image of Donald Trump duplicated as if in a passport photo. I looked away too quickly to observe details because Trump in general offends me so much, especially when I'm having a nice happy day. But later I thought, that was so Twin Peaks. Dude, I live in Twin Peaks. Yay.

Both. They have different aspects that resonates with me.
Not too long ago I had huge Star Wars fandom period, where I watched all the movies religiously, read all the comic books I found from the library, and would also search information from the internet... And holy cow, there is information out there. I have probably forgotten over half of it, by now.
I also have an Darth Vader mug that says I Find Your Lack Of Faith Disturbing, to remind me, on days when I'm feeling down or discouraged, what is important. The mug is also pretty funny and terrifying, when you think of it.
Star Wars is usually too emotional for me, to watch how darkness defeats light in Anakin. But sometimes I want to watch something highly emotional, so then Star Wars is there to await me. It's very interesting, how Luke has always had light and darkness somewhat balanced, inside of him: Jedi encourages to free oneself from emotion, a concept Anakin struggled throughout his entire life, but Luke uses his emotions as a weapon for good. There are some serious problems with Jedi religion, especially when programing those believes on to an traumatised kid, like Anakin used to be. Really enjoyed watching the Star Wars Theory videos. I still love the comic books and am presumably going to read them all over again some day.
I'm not that familiar with the newest Star Wars movies, but I have watched them and liked them. In The Last Jedi there even is some animal rights theme going on, that pisses most people off, but made me excited.
Rogue One is totally awesome.

Star Trek (The Original Series, TNG and Enterprise: I haven't watched every Star Trek series yet, but am going to) is my all time favorite series, and I can't put it into words, but it just is perfect. It helps me to better understand humans, and helps me to understand myself better. And watching the series makes me feel calm.
In each episode the crew of the Enterprise is challenged with new difficulties and with their wits and morals they overcome. I Love It. Love it. The characters are very inspirational, especially in The Original Series and TNG.
I like all the sounds in The Original Series.

....I'm so bad at putting these things into words. Someone please, read my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed both when I was younger but currently do not laud one above the other as I see them both as pushing a false world view.

Only the original Star Trek, as watched when I was a kid on a big, boxy TV with a knob on Saturday mornings when my mom was asleep and my dad was at work, and the first Star Wars (which turned out not to be the first, and that fact has since bugged me a little - but you know which one I mean). ;)

(Basically any sci-fi TV show from the 70s and early 80s - which included Land of The Lost, and re-runs of My Favorite Martian)

I am interested in you elaborating on this, and do you apply this perspective to only sci-fi movies or to other genres as well

Imagine you are 20 feet deep in the ocean, wearing only a bathing suit, with just water, and no obstacles around you, and lungs filled with oxygen. How many directions can you go?

Now imagine you are 20 feet above ground in the air wearing just clothes or a bathing suit, how many directions can you go?

Explain the difference.

If someone asked you how many months in the year there are, would you say 12?
“Everyone knows” there are 12 months in the year, right?

The word “month” derives from the word “moon”. There are actually 13 moons every year, and the 12 month calendar is a man made fiction that people live their lives by.

I believe that science fiction represents a popular world view based fiction. It depends on the “common knowledge” (nearly) everyone is taught in their first years at school, and reinforced with through popular series like Star Wars, Star Trek and other space films.

I generally only avoid science fiction, but do enjoy other types.

I'll probably fail this test, but I'll bite.

Imagine you are 20 feet deep in the ocean, wearing only a bathing suit, with just water, and no obstacles around you, and lungs filled with oxygen. How many directions can you go?
An infinite number of directions (for a limited period of time)
Now imagine you are 20 feet above ground in the air wearing just clothes or a bathing suit, how many directions can you go?
One general one.
Explain the difference.
Gravity
There are actually 13 moons every year,
12.37, actually, thigh I'm not sure why this matters, as long we know? Time is a relative concept, right? (I actually just guessed that before I looked it up, lol, and now I'm windingwo if the rain why I look so young at 53 is because I'm short )...

I happen to find this stuff interesting, and think that lots of science fiction movies actually challenge what we assume is true or what we taught (even if I can't fully grasp the concepts). ... Do you not, ever?

I happen to find this stuff interesting, and think that lots of science fiction movies actually challenge what we assume is true or what we taught (even if I can't fully grasp the concepts). ... Do you not, ever?

Lots of interesting stories, I’ll admit. Almost all in a context that is not real. It’s not the stories I object to, it’s the context. The stories, characters and action is the main draw of the movies – but to enjoy all these, one must accept the context of the movie. Much like in other types of movies. Say – a western. Horseback riding, oil lamps, saloons and six bullet guns belong – cars, airplanes, electricity and machine guns don’t belong. One cannot immerse themselves in a western when there are elements that make it obviously not a western.

In the same way, science fiction as a context relies on one’s ability to shelve reality in favor of a context that isn’t real.

I'll probably fail this test, but I'll bite.

An infinite number of directions (for a limited period of time)

One general one.

Gravity

The reason I asked you to consider the in water/in air scenario is to get you to think about the context of “gravity”. Do you think it works differently in water? This is the force that is supposed to be holding trillions of gallons of water to a spinning planet.

The correct answer to why objects rise or fall is relative densities, not gravity. A submarine in the water, what affects it’s depth? Gravity? No. Relative density. To dive, it releases air, changing it’s density in the water. To rise, it uses air compressors to add air to the sub, and change it’s density relative to the water so that it will rise.

Space is supposed to be a vacuum. In the water, you are surrounded by a dense material you can move around in. On the ground, you can move along the ground, but jumping up always means coming back down, not floating around. This is because you are more dense than the medium (air) that surrounds you. But water or air provide us something to “push off of” to move. Space, what do you push off of? It’s a vacuum.

But let’s say there was some magical quality about space that allows one to travel in it. So in other words, not a true vacuum. How does one defy the gravitation force that keeps planets spinning around the sun? Science fiction movies take this power for granted. It’s easy to jet around in space and defy this massive force that keeps planets both spinning and rotating around the sun. Even the so called rules of the universe are contradicted by most science fiction movies. One must put up with a huge amount of cognitive dissonance to accept the “reality” of them.

12.37, actually, thigh I'm not sure why this matters, as long we know? Time is a relative concept, right? (I actually just guessed that before I looked it up, lol, and now I'm windingwo if the rain why I look so young at 53 is because I'm short )...

There are 13 moons in a year. Check this year, for example. Full moon was on the 21st January, 2019. If one counts to December, there are only 12 full moons. However, 21st of January to December 31 is not one year. In January 2020, there is a full moon on the 11th. Making 13 full moons between 21st Jan 2019 and 21st Jan 2020. Year after year after year, 13. If I’m wrong, point to a year where there was less than 13 full moons.

point to a year where there was less than 13 full moons.

I dunno, Man, everything I'm reading says that most years have 12.

I don't like westerns because of all the things that you mentioned. Used to like them as a kid though.

Thanks for the insight.

point to a year where there was less than 13 full moons.

I dunno, Man, everything I'm reading says that most years have 12.

I don't like westerns because of all the things that you mentioned. Used to like them as a kid though.

Thanks for the insight.

If you are very curious, it should be easy to prove I'm mistaken:

1. Go here: https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/
2. Choose location if you want, but it doesn’t matter for counting full moons.
3. Scroll to bottom of page. On bottom left is the Moon Calendar for the year.
4. There will either be 13 full moons there (so 1 month will have 2) OR the next year’s January full moon will be on a date before the year counted. Ie: 2019, Jan 21st, 2020, Jan 11.
5. Choose year and test for other years.

If you can find a year (that is, a 365 day period) where there are only 12, please let me know because this would make me question certain current beliefs I currently hold to.

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.