Sweetener for coffee

amberfunk

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm trying to get away from store bought creamers (except the rare hazelnut cause it's awesome) and I'm looking for a sweetener that's not cane sugar or stevia. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please also let me know how the taste compares to cane sugar. Thanks!

Coconut sugar can be used pretty much exactly like cane sugar, it just seems to have a milder sweetness. You could use blackstrap molasses, but that's going to add a definite taste to your coffee that you may or may not be fond of.

I don't see why you couldn't use maple syrup, and yet I can also see how that might get expensive.

I've been wanting to try coconut sugar. I'll have to look up nutrition info for it. Not really fond of maple syrup honestly so I wouldn't use that.

I've experimented with agave syrup and vanilla extract dissolved in a minimum of soy milk. I prefer black but it's worth a shot if you have the stuff on hand.

I do have agave and vanilla in my cabinets at all times. I'll give it a shot. Not sure that my bullet blender is strong enough for dates.

Not sure that my bullet blender is strong enough for dates.

Dates need to be pitted and then softened before putting in a blender. Check for pits then soften by adding to hot water for a while. Then it can be safely pureed and either siphoned further through cheesecloth or used as is how you wish.

I've experimented with agave syrup and vanilla extract dissolved in a minimum of soy milk. I prefer black but it's worth a shot if you have the stuff on hand.
I'm still working on the measurements. but right now I'm using 1/4 c soy milk, 2 tsp agave, and 1/4 tsp vanilla.
Try that to start off with. you can vary it depending on how you like it.

If you don't need that much creamer, you can cut that in half. 1/8 c = 2 tbsp.

My favorite is to use vanilla soy milk with a half tsp sugar.
The vanilla soy milk already has some sugar and vanilla added.

I'll make my coffee a little stronger than usual ( 3 tbsp of coffee per 8 oz water instead of 2), then heat the soy milk in the microwave for 30 seconds, then froth it. Homemade latte!

The grocery store shelves are full of p/b creamers. Everyone tells me that the oat-based and almond-based versions are best but I always have soy milk in the frig anyway. Plus the store-bought creamers are always a little pricey. (but then so are vanilla and agave)

I used to always drink my coffee black. This year it seems like coffee is a little bitter tasting to me. but this year I haven't bought any of the Good Stuff. I'm going to get some next month. My good stuff is Trader Joe's Ethiopian. It's organic, shade-grown, and free trade. Twice the price of Joe's but I like fair trade and shade-grown for ethical and environmental reasons. Plus I think it tastes better.

Reactions: PTree15