Taking the final step

Ink92

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I've been a vegetarian (apart from fish due to my doctor saying to was crucial to my diet) for about a month now. I'm shocked a how little a miss meat but then I've always been a big animal lover and had tried to make the transition before but couldn't while living with my folks. Upon recently finding out I have a milk allergy and still in line of my love for animals and craving a new start I decided to go vegan but I'm struggling to find alternatives to certain foods thanks to allergies. Can anyone help?

What are your allergies? It would help to know so we can suggest food for you around your allergies.

all nuts, milk, a lot of spices (most of the really spicy ones there are so many I just don't use them), onion, citus fruit, pomegranate. I don't get on with soy milk due tot the taste but I am working on that. All my other allergies as far as I can think of are not food realted.

Well milk won't be a problem with going vegan. You can still eat rice, lentils, beans, quinoa, buckwheat, tofu, a variety of veggies, apples, bananas, I'm sure some cereals will be ok for you if you read the labels and call the companies to see if they are safe from milk (cherrios comes to mind but I'm not sure). There is also coconut milk if you do ok with that. Also try hemp or rice milk if you don't really care for soy. Daiya products are dairy and nut free if you want to try their vegan cheese products. So delicious has other nut products that they produce but they have allergy testing done on each line and cleaning done on them so I wouldn't worry about cross contamination. They have icecream, milk, cocowhip and cheese now.

If spices really bother you I would just cook from scratch. Mix it up with lentils, beans, veggies, potatoes, rice, quinoa, etc. If you do like a little flavoring you can always add a little bit of salt and the spices that don't bother you. I think once you get started with some recipes that you like it won't seem so overwhelming anymore.