Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Thanksgiving in US

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Mommyandlove, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Mommyandlove

Mommyandlove Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    I was surprised not to see a Thanksgiving post today...

Most people are cooking turkey, stuffing and gravy packed with turkey parts... (my family included.) So, I'm bringing my children and I a veggie "turkey" Quorn roast, veggie gravy and green bean casserole to the family dinner. I'm crossing my fingers that everything else is not cooked with the turkey.

Anyone want to share about their Thanksgiving dinner & experience? Did you bring something that the "meat-eaters" liked?

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!

2. VeganBeth
    Angelic

VeganBeth Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Other
    I am actually doing a liquid fast today in honor of all those at Standing Rock. My mom canceled the family get together, which is fine by me. I really don't care to go spend time with my meat eating family.

3. Forest Nymph
    Scurvy

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I've experienced more than one Thanksgiving with omnis where I did the cooking - it really depends on the people, some people are quite happy to share a well-prepared seasoned Tofurky roast, and gravy that's either homemade or dressed up with a splash of wine and herbs, along with mashed potatoes and cranberries.

Some people are really into the traditional Thanksgiving, but some people don't have the time or skills to cook for themselves, and I've more than once shared my vegan bounty with non-vegans on Thanksgiving.

This year I'm enjoying solitude but still making my Tofurky and gravy (I really like Tofurky roasts) along with roasted squash and persimmons w/maple syrup and brown sugar, pan fried okra, and cranberries.

I skipped the mashed potatoes and pie this year. Just a heads up - if you don't want to bake a homemade pie, Marie Callenders Razzleberry is accidentally vegan, and Claim Jumper Cherry pie is accidentally vegan. If you want pumpkin or pecan pie, you'll probably have to whip up your own.