Advertisement

The alcoholic vegan?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by balcobulls, Feb 25, 2018.

1. balcobulls

balcobulls New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Well.....this may come across not entirely health-focused, though I wanted to share. I do like my alcoholic drinks a few times a week. Surely intake much more than I need to, lets just say that. 3-4 beers + two fingers of whiskey (knob creek....gotta love it). Well since I went vegan I found myself drinking a bit less just because I am feeling the "high" much sooner than I did before. I am in no way medically educated enough to speak on this topic, only through experience. But damn! Healthier throughout the day turns into a cheap and probably a little less negative nightcap.

Don't worry, after staying vegan long enough, I will hate myself if I keep on drinking.....already starting to feel guilty.

2. Lux
    Cheerful

Lux Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I very rarely drink but I have noticed the exact same thing. A glass of wine or two hits me straight away since going vegan. I only drink a handful of times a year though so it really doesn't bother me, but I have definitely noticed it.

3. mikek
    Surfing

mikek Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    life is to be enjoyed :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. amberfunk

amberfunk Active Member

Ratings:
    +164 / 2 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Last few times I've had alcohol it's hit way harder than it should. Probably an effect of getting all the crap out from meat and dairy.

5. gab
    Devilish

gab Active Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Similar story, heavy Laphroaig drinker before ... 100% clean after turning vegan.

6. Forest Nymph
    Nerdy

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +292 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Lots of vegans drink. There's even a website called Barnivore.com and there are vegan wine companies.

I drink, I know a vegan who drinks more than I do but he admittedly has a problem.

The problem with drinking as a vegan is because of your low cholesterol diet and possibly even lower-fat diet, you're not going to have a big hunk of cheese soaking up the excess alcohol. This means it can hit you a lot harder, faster and you could have worse hang overs (this is a common complaint). So if you are a habitual drinker you may find that your habitual amount isn't working for you anymore and you have to slow down or cut back.

Just like with omni drinkers, it's advisable to eat things like nuts, fried foods, or high protein rich foods (like a bowl of peanuts with your beer, or a veggie burger and fries before a night out) to help mitigate the alcohol.

Have fun.

7. Forest Nymph
    Nerdy

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +292 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    My observation is that the fancier the wine, the more like earth it tastes. Alpen Cellars tastes like healthy dirt, all good wine does. Lots of basic alcohol is vegan. All Sierra Nevada is vegan, and it's the most ecological sustainable brewery in existence.