The beyond burger

Sho

Newcomer
Reaction score
So I hadn’t eaten meat in like a year and a half when I tried the beyond burger. I never thought my grocery store had it but that’s because I don’t go into the meat isle. It wasn’t until I saw a YouTube video where they said it’s in the meat isle.

I hadn’t had a hamburger in awhile. I buy black bean patties that are pretty good. After I cooked my beyond patty I dressed up my bun and took a big bite then I looked at the bright pink beet juice dyed patty and felt sick. The texture and taste are similar to meat which I never liked. Then it looks raw and it left this greasy weird taste in my mouth that lasted for hours. I didn’t even eat the second patty. I ate about half of it but couldn’t get over the fact that it looked raw. I ended up eating a few things to try and get that grease taste out of my mouth but it didn’t work. I even took a nap and woke up to that nasty taste. Then I watched a YouTube video from unnatural vegan about this burger where she said the same thing about it leaving a meat taste in your mouth for hours. So is the sausage better? Or no one can find that?

I haven't tried the sausage yet since the only whole foods by me is 45 minutes away and I like having money to go to whole foods since they have so much awesome stuff. If you didn't like the taste of meat before you probably won't like the sausage either. Their vegan meats are meant to taste exactly like meat to appeal to meat eaters and vegans that miss the taste of meat. I was a big meat eater and absolutely love the beyond burgers.

Yeah I don't think I'd like it either. I've been meat-free for so long... going on 12 years now... that any time I have anything that I can tell was even cooked on the same surface of or with the same equipment as what was used for meat it makes my stomach flip.

I had a veg burrito the other day at some mexican restaurant and the first bite I took I could tell the filling had been cooked around meat and I was burping that gross greasy hamburger taste for the rest of the day.

I definitely get it that this thing is made to appeal to those who like the taste of meat, and maybe even those who want to go veg but just can't imagine not being able to taste meat anymore.

Me? Nope. Not for me. I'm perfectly fine not tasting meat.

I haven't tried the sausage yet since the only whole foods by me is 45 minutes away and I like having money to go to whole foods since they have so much awesome stuff. If you didn't like the taste of meat before you probably won't like the sausage either. Their vegan meats are meant to taste exactly like meat to appeal to meat eaters and vegans that miss the taste of meat. I was a big meat eater and absolutely love the beyond burgers.
Yeah I saw this thing on their website that everyone is complaining the sausage is always sold out. I haven’t seen it anywhere. I think I wouldn’t mind the sausage because I could just cut it up and add it to rice or something. I was going to buy some field roast mini corn dogs the other day and they were $7 like I’m broke I can’t buy $7 corn dogs. I end up not trying a lot of stuff because it’s expensive. I don’t want to hate something after I spent so much on it. Also I noticed Whole Foods is really expensive. I was in Eugene and saw myokos at Whole Foods for 10.99 and then went to natural grocers later and they had it for 8.99. Whole foods is pretty to look at but I’m pretty sure they are gouging us. Anyways none of this has anything to do with the beyond burger. Also where can I find cashew butter that isn’t 15$

Yeah I don't think I'd like it either. I've been meat-free for so long... going on 12 years now... that any time I have anything that I can tell was even cooked on the same surface of or with the same equipment as what was used for meat it makes my stomach flip.

I had a veg burrito the other day at some mexican restaurant and the first bite I took I could tell the filling had been cooked around meat and I was burping that gross greasy hamburger taste for the rest of the day.

I definitely get it that this thing is made to appeal to those who like the taste of meat, and maybe even those who want to go veg but just can't imagine not being able to taste meat anymore.

Me? Nope. Not for me. I'm perfectly fine not tasting meat.
Yeah I was at a bbq the other day and they cooked a lot of vegetables in tin foil on the grill so it didn’t touch any meat but when I opened the bag of potatoes and took my first bite it tasted like try tip. It was all smoked together. I couldn’t eat it

Also where can I find cashew butter that isn’t 15$

The least expensive option is to make your own.... raw, or roasted, 2 cups, put them in a high speed blender or bullet (use one cup then) and spin it up for 5 - 10 minutes until it is as creamy as you want it, add a tiny bit of salt, spin for another 30 seconds and store in a jar in the fridge. Lots of recipes out there include oil but I do not add oil to my food so I only perused the recipes that don't use oil, there is no need as cashew are plenty creamy.

Enjoy!

Emma JC

Reactions: Nekodaiden
"The taste of meat"

is a bit of an oxymoron, in my view. When I was still eating meat I became aware of how bad the saturated fat is in meat, but I still wanted to eat it, so this is what I did:

I boiled the (mince) meat to release the sat fat. Then I would dump the water that had the majority of the fat in it and eat the nearly fat-less meat, or I would dehydrate that same meat for later. If I hadn't dumped the water (like I boiled it at night then came back the next morning), then the fat would be hardened and floating on the top of the water.

If you are a former meat eater, or you are a current meat eater worried about the "taste" of meat, why not try this little experiment to see for yourself? I'm not saying to eat it, merely taste it, and spit it out if you like. You can satisfy to yourself that there is no "tastiness" in meat, once and for all. It doesn't taste like much of anything, and the fat floating at the top is equally as tasteless.

It is the spices and flavorings added to meat that give it it's tastiness. This includes bacon, which is spiced and flavored before it hits your skillet.

As for the beyond burger in particular, I've already stated I'm not a fan, as the ingredients reveal it is basically isolates (isolated oils, isolated protein from peas), with some flavor and vitamins/minerals added. Basically it is nutritional garbage and this is not surprising because one of it's major backers is:

TYSON FOODS.

Tyson is a corporation that makes the majority of it's profit by selling meat. Why would it be in their interest to make a meat replacement to compete with their main products? It doesn't. They are not "changing to meet health/environmental/compassionate" concerns, they are offering a gimmick that provides very little nutrition, and will most likely leave you hungry (and/or deficient if you depended on it) because of this. It's a way to capture new vegans and turn them slowly back to real meat.

Last edited: