This is my first 100% plant based diet, is it ok?

Patrizio

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello guys, during the past 5-6 mounths i eliminated all the animal products i unfortunately grow up with, and i wanted to ask you if those foods i'm currently eating could give me all the nutrients i need to be healty:
(btw i'm a 21 old male student and i go to the gym)

Breakfast:
1 banana
1 apple
50 g of mixed frozen berries

Lunch:
600 g of sweet potatoes
500 g of frozed mixed veggies ( broccoli, cauliflower, carrots for the most part)
2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
pink salt

Dinner:
150 g of frozen asparagus
40 g of rocket salad
300 g of red lentils
300 g of tofu/tempeh or 150 g of quinoa
2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs of turmeric
1 red onion
pink salt

Snack:
20 g walnuts
20 g sunflower seeds

i also take b12 and d3 supplements daily

p.s. ty to everyone and sry for my english

Well I can only ring in with my own opinion here, but I prefer an oil free vegan diet. That's not to say I don't use a bit for special occasions, or recipes that just won't work without it, but I do watch my oil intake very very carefully.

Your diet plan looks good to me, aside from the oil. I know many other vegans here on this forum use oil in their diets, but make sure you know the facts and risks before you do.

Oil...even the so-called healthy ones, are not so healthy as we've been lead to believe. Even in moderation it has been shown to impede your health in various ways, ranging from atherosclerosis to inflammation.

Don't listen to me though. Do your own research and decide for yourself, and beware of the word "moderation". Here's a couple videos from reputable plant-based doctors. Doctor Esselstyn is the guru on the subject "NO OIL!". Anyhow, keep researching and educating yourself. It not only helps you make better choices, it will keep you inspired.

Reactions: Patrizio
@Veganite I'm curious how you cook without oil? Do you just bake/steam everything instead of frying?

@Veganite Ty a lot for your reply and the interestings informations and videos!
@Catman Well man i don't use oil to cook aswell, i put it at the end on top of my bowl of food in order to get some more calories ahah :D

@Veganite I'm curious how you cook without oil? Do you just bake/steam everything instead of frying?

Aside from things like pastries that might require a tiny bit of oil brushed on, you can easily get by without processed oils in your diet. I will only use oil for very special occasions, like holidays or visiting and/or dinning out.

Eat avocados if you want healthy oil. As I recall one plant-based doctor saying, "eat olives, if you want olive oil. Eat fresh coconuts, if you want coconut oil.". They are considered whole foods, where oils are not. Nutritionally, oil is just fat...nothing else.

I can caramelize onions just as nicely with a quality non-stick saute pan and a bit of veggie stock or even water. I tend to roast a lot of veggies these days. If it's something like a stir-fry, I will use veggie stock and a non-stick wok. I may cheat a little bit with a lid, but often that isn't necessary. It depends how soft or firm you like your veggies cooked.

The video below has some basic fundamentals on oil-free cooking. I will also add that just like when you first went vegan, you will also adjust to eating this way, and be glad that you did.

Hope this helps!

This YouTube channel cooks exclusively oil-free: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh2CcI5FT661MGIrZCxNeTw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh2CcI5FT661MGIrZCxNeTw

Are you dealing with the frozen veg. the right way? It is very important that you do not de-freeze them before consumption. If you did, you would be seriously reducing the galvanising power of the ambivalent Vitamin E-3d. Also, you should alternate red apples with green ones, as it is almost useless to eat just one colour. The friendly bacteria get bored with just red.

You should check your neighbourhood out. It´s not enough to stop consuming any products that have a hint of "animal" origin about them. There should not be more than a pint of milk or half a pound of butter anywhere closer than two and a hald miles to where you live. If there are any neighbours, you need to check their pantries and fridges. - preferably ensure that they too are strict vegans.

All quite simply and rational, really. Shame my first three wives were carnivores.

Hi Patrizio!! Great to hear from you again. I liked your pic in another correspondence. The pink shorts with green polka dots, the fireman´s helmet. And the dainty little ballet shoes. What a picture!

I´ll have to time-travel to follow your advice, but I´ll try it out once I figure out how to do it. Do you think spaghetti carbonara might help?

Patrizio: Me again! Like a mosquito. Buzzing around. Immune to sprays. With you forever.

I noticed, too late, that it was U who asked the question. I´m interested in the same subject. I switched to a veggie diet a few months ago. I´d like to go vegan, but I´m worried about the usual things. Proteins and B12. I don´t want to take supplements, which on a vegan diet complicates things a bit. Quite a bit. I´m extra interested because I´ve got a couple of weight loss websites. Both of these are going to be scrapped, as I no longer believe in a Med diet. It´s just more baloney.

My original comment was because I think a lot of doctors who are "in the business" - losing weight - are after the money. They come up with a lot of obscure jargon and then convince themselves that it´s right. One I specially object to is Mercola. Turns out he´s got a pill for everything he recommends!

Man i really like your approach to trolling around ty for the good content xdd

I think your diet looks ok for a 21 year old male, but if you go to the gym and you find you need more calories, you might want to add them at breakfast with some oatmeal to go with your fruit, a bagel, or other cereal. Also if you feel you need more carbs/grains please add them. Don't be afraid of carbs at your age with your activity level on a vegan diet.

I think it's fine that you're eating a little oil. You'd lose a lot of calories without it that you'd likely have to replace with nut butters, tahini, avocado, or larger quantities of food.

Patrizio: Me again! Like a mosquito. Buzzing around. Immune to sprays. With you forever.

I noticed, too late, that it was U who asked the question. I´m interested in the same subject. I switched to a veggie diet a few months ago. I´d like to go vegan, but I´m worried about the usual things. Proteins and B12. I don´t want to take supplements, which on a vegan diet complicates things a bit. Quite a bit. I´m extra interested because I´ve got a couple of weight loss websites. Both of these are going to be scrapped, as I no longer believe in a Med diet. It´s just more baloney.

My original comment was because I think a lot of doctors who are "in the business" - losing weight - are after the money. They come up with a lot of obscure jargon and then convince themselves that it´s right. One I specially object to is Mercola. Turns out he´s got a pill for everything he recommends!

Did you know most B12 supplements are fed to cattle, that the biggest drain on cobalt is your hamburger? You're already taking supplements through "food animals" and cow's milk is fortified artificially with D, it's not naturally occuring.

Pretty sure Rich Roll and Vegan Gains have no problem with their protein, neither does Kendrick Farris. For some reason I picture you being 57 and having a Santa Claus belly, anyway, tsk tsk.