This is one of the best articles i missed

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am having trouble falling back to sleep. I know this is a bad habit, but I ended up checking my Google NewsFeed.
A couple of clicks later I found this article.

The author is that Vegan, Selene Nelson, who was in the center of that brouhaha over the firing of that editor in the UK. I didn't follow that story closely. I had heard about it - but it was just a blip over here on this side of the pond. But it was a "related story" after a pretty standard story from the BBC on Vegans.

I really liked this article and decided to share it. It did explain the whole series of events which I was just barely aware of. It also explained the reaction in the media that I was unaware of. And Ms. Nelson turns out to be a pretty good writer. And a pretty smart vegan. There are too many good quotes for me to put in here but if you have a couple of minutes you might want to give it a read.

So, "Why do people mock vegans?" Maybe the best answer came from Vice, " people see veganism as a threat to "their sense of identity, values and beliefs ..... partly because it challenges the deeply held belief of human superiority over non-humans. "

I did particularly like this line, "Vegans aren't an oppressed minority, and to suggest we are is absurd. But the way we see it, we are speaking for an oppressed majority: the animals, millions of whom, right at this moment, are being hung upside down and slaughtered."

Nice!

Dr Doug Lisle, an evolutionary psychologist, says something similar about an A1 Vegan diet.

To summarise his profound wisdom: people will try and break you by mocking, relentlessly qizzing, offering crappy food, etc. Why? So they can feel better about themselves by trying to bring you down to their level.

He also gives good advice on how to deal with it :)

Nice!

Dr Doug Lisle, an evolutionary psychologist, says something similar about an A1 Vegan diet.

To summarise his profound wisdom: people will try and break you by mocking, relentlessly qizzing, offering crappy food, etc. Why? So they can feel better about themselves by trying to bring you down to their level.

He also gives good advice on how to deal with it :)

Yeah, nothing new. I can think of a few other authors who have said the same thing. Colleen Patrick Goudreau also discusses this. I just like the way Vice put it. And the fact that Vice is not a vegan organization but a news organization. It carries more weight.

Reactions: betiPT
People mock vegans for the same reasons they deny climate change. It's identity and beliefs but I would go a step further and say it's tribalism. You see less denial of climate change outside of the US, and within the US you see more mocking of veganism outside of California. That's not coincidental.

I read the article and got flashbacks from high school when some boys had hijacked my school diary and graffitied comments throughout the pages such as, ‘meat is a meal’ and ‘get some pork on your fork’.

I read the article and got flashbacks from high school when some boys had hijacked my school diary and graffitied comments throughout the pages such as, ‘meat is a meal’ and ‘get some pork on your fork’.

Oh. Sorry.

Reactions: betiPT
Oh. Sorry.

:) It's ok... it wasn't a negative memory. I remember handling it quite well for a teenager LOL; no negative reaction. This was around 30 years ago, vegetarianism was rare, especially in a high school (I am pretty sure I was the only one). I think they didn't know how to handle it and certainly did not understand why I was veg.

But I was thinking if those boys are thinking about it now and if they have any regrets; maybe, but probably not because my reaction was quite zen :)

Reactions: TofuRobot