Tips - Eating On A Budget

Veggie burgers and soy yogurt aren't exactly cheap. And Top Ramen, even though I've used it in recipes, should not be classified as food. :p
Most of these articles make me feel so broke. Because soy yogurt and such is something I can only afford as a rare special treat.

Reactions: Grayveggie
I suppose that most of us are going to be making frugal dishes, as from now on.

I'm going to make a large mole style, sweet potato chilli with a bag of pinto beans.

Reactions: ledboots
Today I am making a dish with blackeyed peas, as it's an old US southern tradition for luck and prosperity in the New Year. :)

Probably either chili or the usual hoppin john.

Today I am making a dish with blackeyed peas, as it's an old US southern tradition for luck and prosperity in the New Year. :)

Probably either chili or the usual hoppin john.

Well, my intuition also told me that beans were meant to bring good luck. I've changed my plans and am making Boston beans with the pinto beans and sweet potatoes with extra vegan bacon.

Guess I'm having some kind of blackeyed pea dish today. :)

While some of them are decent, I wish they made all their meal ideas to be more nutritionally complete. In any case, I think they are missing some critical advice for frugal shopping: 1.) avoid name brands and buy generics whenever possible, 2.) avoid processed foods, 3.) buy local seasonal fruits and vegetables and largely avoid higher cost imports, 4.) avoid high cost "super-foods".

Whenever people claim that vegetarian diets are too expensive....I always wonder what they are buying. A healthy vegetarian diet can be considerably cheaper than your standard diet.