Tofu and hormone imbalances

Cici

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been vegan for a year and a half now, and have very little concerns. However, I've noticed whenever I eat tofu more than twice a month, I miss my period. Sometimes for one cycle, and sometimes for 3. I've heard that soy can cause hormonal imbalances in pre-menopausal women, and some articles have said that soy is okay in moderation, and that the soy "meat" products are to be afraid of. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one suffering, as many vegan recipes include tofu/tempeh. Any advice on the subject, or suggestions for tofu/tempeh alternatives would be greatly appreciated!

I've heard that soy can cause hormonal imbalances in pre-menopausal women, and some articles have said that soy is okay in moderation, and that the soy "meat" products are to be afraid of.

Here are the facts about soy, which show that it has major health benefits for everyone.
https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/soy/

If you eat too much soy, you won't get as many of the health benefits of eating soy as you would if you ate it in moderation. Even if you ate 7-18 servings a day, you would not be worse off than a meat-eater. You might even decrease your risk of breast cancer. See:
https://nutritionfacts.org/2013/02/19/how-much-soy-is-too-much/

Dr. Greger recommends eating no more than 3-5 servings a day of soy products, as scientific experiments have found no health risks at that level. You're claiming that two servings a month causes you to miss your periods. I'm sorry, but I'm (very) skeptical.

Last edited:
I would recommend going to your doctor about this. Get some blood tests done to make sure you don't have PCOS or anything similar. That's more likely to cause these kinds of problems than soy products, especially as you're clearly not eating soy for every single meal, every day of the month.

I second going to your doctor. It's highly unlikely that it has anything to do with soy. You might not be getting enough calories or something else related to your health. I eat a lot of soy and have no issues with my period.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs