Advertisement
  1. Don't forget to participate in our Christmas competition! Click Here! for more information. :)
    Dismiss Notice

Vegan food labeling

Discussion in 'Food' started by Veggie-based Heathen, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Veggie-based Heathen
    Wishful

Veggie-based Heathen Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    I don't know if it's just because I live in an area with a robust culinary diversity and a good number of people partaking in vegetarianism/veganism, but I've noticed lately that a lot more places are starting to label which of their offerings are vegetarian and/or vegan friendly. It makes things a lot easier.

I've also noticed that when I go out with my gluten-free friends, the servers often ask them if their avoidance of gluten is a preference or allergy. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if servers these days receive any training on dietary restrictions?

Years and years ago, I was a server, and I remember one of my coworkers had a table with a vegan patron, and the server had no idea what that meant--she assumed it was the same thing as vegetarian, and recommended foods chock full of dairy/eggs. Hopefully, they receive at least some sort of training on it nowadays.