Vegan strength training

callador

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hey everyone!

Just an update. I am about 3 months into being vegan now. So far everything has been going pretty well. I've been maintaining weight (@348 right now), which is a must for powerlifting and being 6'6" tall. :) I have also been trying new protein sources like seitan. I am eating two 8oz servings per day, which gives me 120g of protein right there. It is sort of funny, my brother is telling people that I am fueled by "satan" now.

So my original experiment was to see if I could get stronger (meaning actually breaking personal records that I set when still eating meat) while being vegan. It would dispel the rumor that you can only maintain strength or lose strength on a vegan diet.

I am competing in the Illinois Raw Power Challenge on December 16th. I just started my first week of 3's (meaning 3 reps per set). I will slowly keep going up till eventually hitting singles and then going all out at the meet. I think things are looking pretty good. If I can get over 647# for squat, 440# for bench, and 660# for deadlift, I would break my all-time meet records. The numbers are normally in kilos, but I converted them to pounds.

This week I hit a really easy 365x3 bench with 3-4 more in the tank. This would put my estimated max at 440# ish. It isn't a perfect science, and I think I will continue to get stronger before the meet. I also did a 570x3 deadlift with 3-4 more in the tank. This would put my estimated max at 670-680#. I also took a year off lifting, so I am coming back from being really weak.

Here are the vids from this week. I probably won't be able to get a squat video because I have no one training with my on Friday, /cry. :)

I ended up getting a squat video too! My fiancee's 5 year old son was with me today at the gym and filmed it. The first rep was a tad high, but then I hit my groove for the other two.