Vegan supplements for digestive system

Jinendra Singh

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi, I want to know if anyone knows of any good vegan supplements that helps with the digestive system? I am taking Align but it contains milk. It's the only supplement I have tried that works. It helps some with my permanent chronic constipation condition. This is what Align is known for:

promote and support a healthy digestive system
maintain digestive balance
fortify your digestive system with a unique healthy bacteria 24/7

Chronic constipation is not typical with a whole foods plant-based diet. Do you have an underlying disorder or disease that's causing this? After all, we, as vegans, probably have the highest fiber diets of all people. The two don't usually go hand in hand.

Personally, I struggled with this issue, myself, but it was a result of long-term use of narcotic pain medication.

The problem with long-term use of supplements for constipation is that it creates other problems. The very best results I had was with a Chinese herbal medicine. I can't remember the name of the product, but it contained a few key ingredients. The ones I remember off the top of my head were rhubarb, senna, and slippery elm. It had all three of those things. It worked like a miracle.

The best thing is to actually get to the root of the problem. For me I've been narcotic free for almost a year. It feels amazing! I did have some lasting side effects that are now finally gone. Constipation can be a serious condition.

Whatever you do don't wait to see a doctor about this. I'd consider a Chinese medicine doctor first though, if the problem isn't too serious at this point.

I really do sympathize with your issue. As I said, I've been there.

Hmm. I don't want to come off as judgemental, but just cause you are a vegan does not mean you eat a healthy diet. (I know this because I haven't always eaten a healthy vegan diet).

Anyway, IMHO a good healthy vegan diet should not need any supplements to combat constipation.

Here are some interesting stats. the average American eats about 15 grams of fiber. The medical community suggests 25. and that is more of a minimum.

Step one should be for you to evaluate your fiber intake. You can use a pen and paper but I recommend you go ahead and start using CronOmeter. its a great analytical tool for nutrition. If you aren't getting at least 25 grams of fiber you need to increase it.

I have been transitioning to a WFPB diet so I have been checking with CronOmeter. I have been averaging 38 grams of fiber a day. Typically oatmeal for breakfast, big salad for lunch, brown rice and steamed or roasted veggies for dinner. Fruit between meals.

Back before I ate so healthily, i used to have an apple every night before bed and that was a pretty good way to stay regular. Well, I still have an apple each night.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Hmm. I don't want to come off as judgemental, but just cause you are a vegan does not mean you eat a healthy diet. (I know this because I haven't always eaten a healthy vegan diet).

Anyway, IMHO a good healthy vegan diet should not need any supplements to combat constipation.

Here are some interesting stats. the average American eats about 15 grams of fiber. The medical community suggests 25. and that is more of a minimum.

Step one should be for you to evaluate your fiber intake. You can use a pen and paper but I recommend you go ahead and start using CronOmeter. its a great analytical tool for nutrition. If you aren't getting at least 25 grams of fiber you need to increase it.

I have been transitioning to a WFPB diet so I have been checking with CronOmeter. I have been averaging 38 grams of fiber a day. Typically oatmeal for breakfast, big salad for lunch, brown rice and steamed or roasted veggies for dinner. Fruit between meals.

Back before I ate so healthily, i used to have an apple every night before bed and that was a pretty good way to stay regular. Well, I still have an apple each night.
eating an apple at the night is good for the digestive system? I included it in breakfast taking alternate days. I never ate it at night before

While apples are good for natural digestion and bowel health, they won't eliminate the problem if it's bad. I know, because I ate apples religiously. I still love apples, but prefer when they're in season here.

There's a point of getting too much fiber too. Trust me, you don't want to go that way. I've always had good success with watermelon. I guess because the hydration helps. That's a good point...stay very hydrated. Drink lots and lots of water.

Use this quick pick list of high-fiber foods:
  • Fruit: Berries, peaches, apricots, plums, raisins, rhubarb, and prunes are some of the best high-fiber fruits. For a fiber boost, eat the peel as well.
  • Whole grains: Steer away from white flour and white rice and enjoy whole grains instead, which provide more fiber. Whole grains include oats, brown rice, whole wheat, quinoa, barley, and rye.
  • Vegetables: Whether you're eating the leaves, stalks, or roots, you'll get fiber from vegetables, including what is in potato skins.
  • Nuts: Walnuts and almonds will also add fiber to your diet.
  • Seeds: Several kinds of seeds are excellent sources of fiber. You can add them to your smoothies or sprinkle them on soy yogurt or salads. Chia, ground flax seeds, and psyllium are some of the most touted.
  • Beans and legumes (with caution): Legumes such as chickpeas, soybeans, lentils, navy beans and kidney beans are good sources of fiber. However, they have a well-earned reputation for being gassy. If you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), beans and legumes are on the list of high fodmap foods that may exacerbate IBS symptoms.
  • Hot tea: A herbal tea made with anise or fennel might be a soothing way to ease your constipation.

I actually found the Chinese herbal product I had success with. These things worked like a miracle. It's just not good to get used to these products for regularity. They'll create what they call lazy bowel syndrome, and while it does claim it is safe for long-term usage, I would be reluctant. Again, you are better off solving the problem, if possible.

https://www.chineseherbs.net/collections/elimination/products/rhubarb-17

Description: Rhubarb 17 is an expanded version of the Ming Dynasty formula Linum and Rhubarb Combination (Runchang Tang) that was used for chronic constipation, especially as occurs with aging. In turn, that formula is based on the ancient Apricot seed and Linum Formula (Maziren Wan), the Han Dynasty Formula for dry constipation that results from intestinal dryness associated with faulty distribution of moisture. This type of constipation does not require potent stimulant purgatives (such as a high dose of rhubarb or similar herbs) or agents to retain lots of water in the intestine (a high dose of mirabilitum). Instead, a gentle purgative action is attained by using only a small amount of Minor Rhubarb Combination (Xiao Chengqi Tang; rhubarb, magnolia bark, chih-shih) to provide peristaltic activity of the intestines, coupled with herbs that moisturize the intestines, such as oily seeds (persica, apricot, prunus, sesame) and blood nourishing herbs (tang-kuei, ho-shou-wu, cistanche). This formulation does not cause intestinal cramping or diarrhea that is characteristic of the stronger purgatives and it is suited to long-term use. It has been used for many years in the U.S. without reports of adverse reactions. The amount of anthraquinones (the active components of rhubarb and other stimulant purgatives) in this formula meets with the currently recommended limits to avoid potential intestinal distress from prolonged use; it is recommended that a few weeks break to be taken after 9-12 months regular use, however. If intestinal cramping is a pre-existing problem, add Shu Gan Wan (Pine Mountain) or Peony 9.

Ingredients: Da Huang (rhubarb) 10% Hou Po (magnolia bark) 7% Zhi Shi (chih-shih) 7% Dang Gui (tang-kuei) 7% Di Huang (rehmannia) 7% Tao Ren (persica) 7% Xing Ren (apricot seed) 6% Jue Ming Zi (cassia seed) 6% Hu Ma Ren (sesame) 6% He Shou Wu (ho-shou-wu) 6% Rou Cong Rong (cistanche) 6% Hu Zhang (hu-chang) 5% Yu Li Ren (prunus) 5% Bai Shao (peony) 5% Gan Cao (licorice) 4% Sha Ren (cardamon) 3% Mu Xiang (saussurea) 3%

I used to get GERDs while I'm sleeping. My doctor said that the valve at the top of my stomach had weakened and that stomach acids would leak out while I was laying down and sleeping. She gave me a little pamphlet that included a whole list of do's and don'ts. Then I went and got a book out of the library and it included an apple each night before bed.

I never really bothered trying to figure out which of the Do's and Don'ts were important and critical. But I have found that if I do and don't most of them - i don't have any issues at night. And i thought it kept me pretty regular as well.

So the apple thing may not even be relevant. Maybe even just a Lou- superstition. Just something I started doing and may not even be important. But I can't see how it could hurt. Try it. My sister who sometimes suffers from constipation has a prune each night before bed. Of course, that's superstition. :p

Also, I agree with Veganite on becoming dependent on supplements. Its almost always a better idea to fix the issue with food.

So the apple thing may not even be relevant. Maybe even just a Lou- superstition. Just something I started doing and may not even be important. But I can't see how it could hurt. Try it. My sister who sometimes suffers from constipation has a prune each night before bed. Of course, that's superstition.

Apples are no superstition, and neither are prunes. They still use prunes and/or fruit lax in most old folks institutions/care-homes for regularity and constipation. Apples are also known to help with constipation. However, when you have chronic constipation, these foods usually aren't enough. That was all I was trying to get across.

That Chinese supplement does work incredibly well for chronic constipation. The things we take for granted, like a bowel movement, can be such an incredibly stressful event. I hope the OP finds some relief soon.

Reactions: Lou