Veganism and depression

thebeonnible

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
(I apologise if this is not the appropriate place to post this, but it's been on my mind for a while now)

Ever since waking up to the horrors of animal agriculture there has been this one thing on my mind, replaying itself.
Seeing a scene of abuse in factory farms makes me reflect on one of my biggest fears and I think to myself, "what if this was happening to my sister/brother?" And this pondering makes me feel like life isn't living if this sort of thing is years away from ending.
I guess you feel kind of lost after actually doing research on these types of things.

Hello thebeonnible,

I am sorry for your pain. You're not the first to express such feelings, most recently this post which you might care to take a look at?

You're in good company here. Most of us understand. Just try to remember other more optimistic things as well.

The very best to you :sun::):sun:

I feel the same. I've thought about ending it a lot more since I have known what I know. I don't think this helps much, but it might make you feel better to know someone understands you.

This lady made a video that accurately describes my feelings.

Hi
I'm so glad there are people out there like me, I have just cried over seeing a picture of a cow in a slaughter house. I really admire people that can post pictures to make people aware of the cruelty that meat eaters think is just the norm, go to ports and protest against transporting poor animals and fox hunting etc., I however just cannot bring myself to see these poor animals in the lorries, even to look at a picture and the tears are flowing. I honestly thought that as I got older I would become stronger towards being able to deal with animal cruelty but I can't.

i have been suffering from depression for about 2 years id say of rock bottom food was a confort for me sort of getting lost in my room wondering when i was gonna jump out into a train or jump of a bridge i dont feel like that much i have my moments but i know want to be a person that i can look in the mirror and be happy for me diet is a vital part of life some can eat bad/**** food but i cant do it anymore i hope this forum will help me/us all

I find it very difficult to watch or read anything upsetting and I do feel that I should be able to, but I am vegan and that is the most fundamental thing anyone can do, if there was no demand for animal products there would be no animal abuse. Since I made that commitment I don't really think it is necessary to keep watching harrowing videos, not when I've already got the message. I can always raise awareness and write letters to people, hand out leaflets and campaign or man stalls at local events without torturing myself any further. Being vegan is a wonderful, joyful experience and the world needs us, all of us.

Reactions: Bluerice
Well, it's called developing an higher conscious.
Reality is always painful to handle... It's a journey to come to the realization that there's really nothing good around you.
But...
Overtime, you begin to learn that you are the one that sees all this... Hence, your mission becomes to create something good in this world.

Instead of focusing on the horrors, attempt to view yourself as the sign that all those things are beginning to end.

I suffered from such depression for over 20 years, and only recently gotten out of it.
Some people suffer for less time... What is certain is,

When you get out of it... You become the light you wish to see.
Don't dwell on the horrors of Demons, become the knight that raises a shield against them.

You may stand alone, you may be weak, you may falter easily...
But you know deep within you, that you'll rise no matter one, and you'll stand there still, even all your power has run dry.

The only way to handle depression, is to look up, stare in the mirror... And realize-
Here's the solution for all this.

(I apologise if this is not the appropriate place to post this, but it's been on my mind for a while now)

Ever since waking up to the horrors of animal agriculture there has been this one thing on my mind, replaying itself.
Seeing a scene of abuse in factory farms makes me reflect on one of my biggest fears and I think to myself, "what if this was happening to my sister/brother?" And this pondering makes me feel like life isn't living if this sort of thing is years away from ending.
I guess you feel kind of lost after actually doing research on these types of things.
I think most if not all vegans feel this way if they are vegan for ethical reasons rather than for health or environmental reasons. I believe that we are already predisposed to feel more for other beings in the first place, because we did make a pretty major life style change for them. So, the thought of other sentiment beings being tortured and killed probably gets to us more than most people.
My only advice is keep your head up, you are making a difference :)

Reactions: Bluerice