Veganism found to be the best diet for weight loss

Jinendra Singh

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
It used to be for college students, yoga instructors, and people who named their children after planets, but veganism—foregoing every kind of animal product, from beef and milk to eggs and even honey—is the hottest diet trend around, and for good reason: Brand new research says it’s the absolute best way to lose weight.

Reactions: Lou
Yes if you don't eat chips, candy, or drink beer though. While morbidly obese vegans are unheard of, vegans can be a little chubby if they like junk food or drink alcohol regularly.

That being said, if you're in a weight loss mentality where you avoid those things it's the healthiest way to lose weight. Low carb, Atkins types of diets are so bad for you even if they have quick results.

Reactions: Jinendra Singh
Yes if you don't eat chips, candy, or drink beer though. While morbidly obese vegans are unheard of, vegans can be a little chubby if they like junk food or drink alcohol regularly.

I've seen some pretty obese vegans in various videos who are chefs at vegan restaurants. This confused me, and I thought "must have just turned vegan" or "maybe was even heavier before" or "maybe just cooks vegan food and eats meats?"

Then I noticed the very heavy oil component of the stuff they were cooking.

Oil isolated from plants is without any means whatsoever to turn it into energy. It lacks all the B vitamins and minerals, and as such must rely on the body's stores of them to turn into energy. At 9 calories per gram it is actually worse than alcohol (7 calories per gram) at robbing B vitamins and minerals - if it was considered a toxin that had to be metabolized like alcohol is.

Drink alcohol - no choice, it's a poison and the body will use every B vitamin and mineral in it's stores to metabolize it and get it out of the body.

Use oil, no problem. Not enough B vitamins or minerals around? Just gets stored as fat.

I can preach this stuff now now that I've decided to go oil free and am losing some unwanted fat after many months of not being able to lose any. :p

Reactions: Emma JC
I agree with you completely, about the oil, and have written a fairly long article about which I posted here awhile ago and can't find, so here is link to it on my website.

A fun fact from the article:
  • Kalamata olives - 4-tablespoon serving of Kalamata olives, roughly 8 large olives or 10 small ones, has 39 calories per serving, negligible amounts of protein, 3.6 grams of total fat and 1.1 grams of dietary fiber
  • Olive oil - 1-tablespoon serving has 120 calories, 14 grams of fat and no fibre and few/if any other nutrients
  • Generally it takes over 1,000 olives weighing between 4 and 8 kilograms to make one liter of extra virgin olive oil. A large tree can yield enough olives to produce five 1 Liter bottles of olive oil.
So eat the olives instead! I use the some of the brine in the olive jars for sauting instead of using oil as it is tastier than water although I do often use water. I also use the brine from a jar of capers as it is said to contain many good nutrients.

Emma JC

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I vaguely remember reading someplace that olive oil, (whether it was referring to extra virgin olive oil only and not refined olive oil, I don't remember), has some sort of benefit that the whole olives lack. I can't remember what it was, or where I read it. So I disagree with the "Just eat the olives!" argument.

I vaguely remember reading someplace that olive oil, (whether it was referring to extra virgin olive oil only and not refined olive oil, I don't remember), has some sort of benefit that the whole olives lack. I can't remember what it was, or where I read it. So I disagree with the "Just eat the olives!" argument.
Olive oil is simply the oil pressed from olives! It has no benefit, but it certainly is touted as if it does.
I"m not oil free, but absolutely believe the best benefits come from whole plant foods.
I'm also overweight and long vegan

Reactions: David3 and Emma JC

I have never heard that and disagree with it completely. Olives are 20% fat approx. and oil is 100% with no fibre.

Emma JC

Reactions: David3
100 grams of brined olives contain:
145 calories
8% RDI of vitamin A
17% RDI of vitamin E
13% RDI of copper
12% RDI of fiber
68% max RDI of sodium
10% max RDI of saturated fat
Link: Nutrition facts for Olives, green, canned or bottled, pickled, recommended daily values and analysis.

100 grams of olive oil contain:
884 calories
0% RDI of vitamin A
64% RDI of vitamin E
0% RDI of copper
0% RDI of fiber
0% max RDI of sodium
70% max RDI of saturated fat
Link: Nutrition facts for Oil, salad or cooking, olive, recommended daily values and analysis.

Except for the sodium in olives (tip: buy salt-free olives), the olives seem to provide more varied nutrition than olive oil.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou