Advertisement

Veganism found to be the best diet for weight loss

Discussion in 'Health' started by Jinendra Singh, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Jinendra Singh
    Balanced

Jinendra Singh Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    It used to be for college students, yoga instructors, and people who named their children after planets, but veganism—foregoing every kind of animal product, from beef and milk to eggs and even honey—is the hottest diet trend around, and for good reason: Brand new research says it’s the absolute best way to lose weight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forest Nymph
    Mummified

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +343 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Yes if you don't eat chips, candy, or drink beer though. While morbidly obese vegans are unheard of, vegans can be a little chubby if they like junk food or drink alcohol regularly.

That being said, if you're in a weight loss mentality where you avoid those things it's the healthiest way to lose weight. Low carb, Atkins types of diets are so bad for you even if they have quick results.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I've seen some pretty obese vegans in various videos who are chefs at vegan restaurants. This confused me, and I thought "must have just turned vegan" or "maybe was even heavier before" or "maybe just cooks vegan food and eats meats?"

Then I noticed the very heavy oil component of the stuff they were cooking.

Oil isolated from plants is without any means whatsoever to turn it into energy. It lacks all the B vitamins and minerals, and as such must rely on the body's stores of them to turn into energy. At 9 calories per gram it is actually worse than alcohol (7 calories per gram) at robbing B vitamins and minerals - if it was considered a toxin that had to be metabolized like alcohol is.

Drink alcohol - no choice, it's a poison and the body will use every B vitamin and mineral in it's stores to metabolize it and get it out of the body.

Use oil, no problem. Not enough B vitamins or minerals around? Just gets stored as fat.

I can preach this stuff now now that I've decided to go oil free and am losing some unwanted fat after many months of not being able to lose any. :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I agree with you completely, about the oil, and have written a fairly long article about which I posted here awhile ago and can't find, so here is link to it on my website.

A fun fact from the article:
    • Kalamata olives - 4-tablespoon serving of Kalamata olives, roughly 8 large olives or 10 small ones, has 39 calories per serving, negligible amounts of protein, 3.6 grams of total fat and 1.1 grams of dietary fiber
    • Olive oil - 1-tablespoon serving has 120 calories, 14 grams of fat and no fibre and few/if any other nutrients
    • Generally it takes over 1,000 olives weighing between 4 and 8 kilograms to make one liter of extra virgin olive oil. A large tree can yield enough olives to produce five 1 Liter bottles of olive oil.
    So eat the olives instead! I use the some of the brine in the olive jars for sauting instead of using oil as it is tastier than water although I do often use water. I also use the brine from a jar of capers as it is said to contain many good nutrients.

Emma JC

• Like Like x 1