Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I'm Vegan (well, technically vegetarian right now - but that's a long story) for the animals and I don't EVER EVER EVER want to give it up.
but I've been doing some research and I just found out about bone char in sugar, and how many of the foods I was going to consume (AKA candy for a gingerbread house) contain animal by-products.
I can feel my anxiety rising, and I feel so defeated because now I have to look for even more sneaky little animal products hidden in my food. I can feel myself slowly going back into obsession mode - which is a characteristic of my eating disorder and something I haven't felt in months.
I don't want to eat animal products, BUT we already bought the candy and I don't want my parents to think I'm restricting.
I don't want to relapse because of going Vegan because then my parents will determine once and for all that Veganism is just another form of an eating disorder WHICH IS SO NOT TRUE!
Can someone please help me find a way to not be so anxious over this?
I'm sorry if this is too deep/difficult/wrong thread - I'll delate this post if asked

Reactions: veganDreama
let's skip the whole issue of bone char and go to the root of your anxiety. You want to be a perfect vegan. IMHO, that is not what veganism is all about. There is no way you are going to live your life without any animal exploitation. It just isn't possible. I don't think we want to get into the whys, it will just make you crazier.

Veganism is not about eliminating animal exploitation. It's about reducing it. You just have to do as much as possible and practical.

What is possible and practical for you is not the same as what is practical and possible for me. And only you know what those limits are. you are the only one who has to live with those limits.

anyway, if you already bought the candy - the damage is done. Nothing will benefit by you throwing it out. So my advice is to go ahead and use it.

also for future knowledge, it's petty much impossible to tell vegan sugar from nonvegan sugar. You could even call the producer and they wouldn't know. they get their sugar from many suppliers. You can't even be sure that your brown sugar is vegan - some brown sugars are just white sugar with a little molasses added for color. Most vegans, if they need to add a sweetener add something like maple syrup.

But they put sugar into all kinds of stuff we buy at the store (like candy). and who knows where it comes from. I think then the best thought process is to decide this is just one of those things that you can't do anything about and just live with it.

It just so happens my favorite Vegan author posted a video on this subject. I think it hits the nail on the head.

Veganism is not about eliminating animal exploitation. It's about reducing it. You just have to do as much as possible and practical.

What is possible and practical for you is not the same as what is practical and possible for me. And only you know what those limits are. you are the only one who has to live with those limits.

agreed in full 100%

this is what you need to remember if you feel anxiety creeping up

let's skip the whole issue of bone char and go to the root of your anxiety. You want to be a perfect vegan. IMHO, that is not what veganism is all about. There is no way you are going to live your life without any animal exploitation. It just isn't possible. I don't think we want to get into the whys, it will just make you crazier.

anyway, if you already bought the candy - the damage is done. Nothing will benefit by you throwing it out. So my advice is to go ahead and use it.

also for future knowledge, it's petty much impossible to tell vegan sugar from nonvegan sugar. You could even call the producer and they wouldn't know. they get their sugar from many suppliers. You can't even be sure that your brown sugar is vegan - some brown sugars are just white sugar with a little molasses added for color. Most vegans, if they need to add a sweetener add something like maple syrup.

But they put sugar into all kinds of stuff we buy at the store (like candy). and who knows where it comes from. I think then the best thought process is to decide this is just one of those things that you can't do anything about and just live with it.

It just so happens my favorite Vegan author posted a video on this subject. I think it hits the nail on the head.

Thank you so much! yes, I am trying to be a "perfect vegan". I need to be okay with not being perfect all the time - but in the future I will be more cautious with what I ask my mom to buy.

I agree with Lou. Being a perfect vegan isn't going to stop animal cruelty. Just do the best you can.

I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, or honey or use any items made out of leather, wool, fur or silk but I do take medicine that was once tested on an animal. I once tried to do reduce the medicine's I take but it made me ill. I'm also planning to have a guide dog which some might think is also unveganly.