Vitamin b12 supplements

Bobonthejob

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hi,

So I did a trial Vegan diet for a month earlier this year and have gone vegetarian since with the aim of vegan but baby steps at the moment....

Everywhere says I need a B12 supplement but I'm confused by what I've read online, some say 10micro grammes per day but all the tablets are 500+
Then there is "methyl B12" and I've also seen "3 types of B12" can anyone recommend some supplements or point me in the direction of a trusted source where I can read up?

Thanks

This should give you all the info you need. I use a sublingual spray. B12 is important, but to fall deficient it takes a really long time. There's lots of foods now that are fortified with b12 as well. While it is important, it is not anything to stress too badly over. Dr. Greger has several videos on the subject. I trust his site, and research.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NutritionFactsOrg/search?query=b12

Edit: By the way, big welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Robin
B12 is over-hyped. Its important but it gets way too much press/attention/column inches.

The mRDA is 6 micorgrams. That is 0.000006 grams. Although is not available in any plant foods its added to a bunch of foods. Two glasses of soymilk has 100%RDA. Some breakfast cereals, some breads, and some nutritional yeasts have i added, too. Plus it's in every multivitamin. I use DEVA Tiny Tablets. They have 100% of the RDA of B12. And a little bit of everything else. It costs under $2/mo. I think of it as cheap insurance.

The dosage recommendations are sort of an interesting story. There have been some reports concluding that the mRDA is too low and that whoever it is who makes those recommendations is considering updating the mRDA. And there are rumors from doubling to anything up to 100x. So some of the manufacturers are trying to get a fast start and have already started updating their dosages. There is no real issue with taking too much. And with such a small amount going into each pill it really can increase the costs much.

But don't lose any sleep over it. It's pretty typical that your doctor tests for B12, you can ask your doc for the results.

I hadn't thought about multivitamins, durrrhhhhh... might just go that route instead

My friend told me about Dr Greger, I'll have a look through his videos and website

Thanks to both

Yeah I bought b12 methyl jarrow brand and it’s 5000micro grams. It says one pill is 200,000% of my daily value. I still have no idea how often to take it.

Yeah I bought b12 methyl jarrow brand and it’s 5000micro grams. It says one pill is 200,000% of my daily value. I still have no idea how often to take it.

I think those high dosage B12s are meant for people who have trouble absorbing b12. The elderly and people with some conditions, don't absorb b12 well.

Some are meant to take once a week.

Recent studies seem to indicate that the best way to take B12 is frequently, with foods, and in small dosages. So it seems that maybe relying on fortified foods and a multi is still the best way to go. Two glasses of soymilk and a daily multi gives is 200%.

B12 is easily stored in the liver. So you could probably take it less often. if you want to be very frugal you could probably just take one of those every third month.

I switched from sublingual drops to Cali White Vegan Whitening Toothpaste with B12, Organic Mint, Natural Whitener - purchased on Amazon (b/c I can't find it anywhere locally). I had never heard toothpaste with B12 until I saw Footsoldier recommend it on TY. I don't go to the doctor so I have no idea what my levels are anymore, but I've been using it for about 5 months, and I should go for a checkup soon. I'll have to come back and post about what my levels show now that I've been using it.

I am taking Lipotropic Liquid Supplement named Super MIC B12. This super tasty Lipo shots cures B12 deficiency and gives fast results.

Bumping up this thread because I finally got my results and I am definitely low on b12 (asking a couple other things)...
My doctor recommended injections once a week for a month. I'm going to go ahead and do it since it's not a long term script, but I'm mildly afraid of them.

Who he has ever had B12 injections? Any negative side effects?

Sadly I cannot recommend that toothpaste anymore, at least not the brand I was using.

B12 is not absorbed completely. You either take a small dose daily, or a large dose once a week. But if you just take what you need per day, you won’t be getting enough because you won’t be absorbing it all. Excess B12 is flushed out through your system, so you don’t have to worry about taking too much. I take one 2500 mcg tablet once a week. It’s best to dissolve most of it under your tongue for better absorption.

Some people are less able to absorb vitamin B12 and need shots regardless of their diet. It sounds like you may be one of those people.