Vitamins daily value of one pill

crowd

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi there.

First of all I want to thank the members of this forum for being so supportive. Half a year of being a vegan would be much harder without your advice and support. I had some health problems in the beginning which you helped figure out. Did my blood tests, which showed extremely low level of D3. Started supplementing D3 and B12, 6 months on the road, never better.

Thank you. (And supplement!)

Now I'm confused about the DV % that are indicated on the bottles. Why are they so huge? Like on this one popular B complex:

B6 - 2mg = 100% DV
Folic acid - 400 mcg = 100% DV
B12 - 1000 mcg = 16666% DV

Is it at all healthy? Recommended dietary amounts (RDAs) of B12 are 2.4 micrograms daily. Mcg is microgram. 1000 mcg really makes it 16666%. The instruction on the bottle suggests I take one pill daily. I'm positively confused.

Same thing with other brands of B12 and D3 - huge daily values % everywhere - Solgar, Jarrow, Now, you name it.

Could you please clear up this issue for me?

I don't think that pills work very well if at all. You need to get a balanced diet the natural way. I take glucosamine, magnesium and B vitamins. I don't know if they work or if they're just a placebo. I started taking them in response to health problems I had and because the medics could not help. If they work, that's good. If not I will eventually stop.

My go to nutritionists for these type of issues are Brenda Davis, Dr Fuhrman and Jack Norris. I also read the Linus Pauling website.

Personally I would research supplementing with Folic Acid as it's possible it might not be good for you.

I think some vitamins are absorbed better than others and not always as well as food which is why the amount is so high however sometimes they probably are just putting too much in.

For Vitamin B12

Be sure to include one of the following:

• A daily supplement that provides at least 25 micrograms of vitamin B12.
  • Twice a week, a supplement that provides at least 1,000 micrograms of vitamin B12.
  • 3 servings over the course of a day of vitamin B12-fortified foods (such as nondairy milks, veggie meats, or breakfast cereals that are fortified with a total of 4 mcg (micrograms) of vitamin B12 or 100 percent of the DV. Check the label. Two teaspoons (10 ml or 3 grams) of Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes can qualify as one of these servings.
http://www.brendadavisrd.com/the-vegan-plate/

Reactions: Deleted member 1437