Weight gain???

Kat

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi
I'm new on this forum but need support. I have slipped in and out of vegan for a few years now and desperately want to keep to vegan but when ever I am I Seem to gain weight I think I know my problem bleh which is bread. I do not eat meat substitutes but I eat a lot of beans and bread which I find the cheapest and quickest to eat.
I have good support around me which il lucky for but I just get put off with all this weight gain. I'm not the slimmest person ethier so it so hard and frustrating. Any help much appreciated

Try eating more fruits, vegetables and salad instead of bread, minimize junk food. Try slightly smaller portions and less snacks. Drink more water instead of other drinks.

Eat until not hungry, not until full. Never eat when not hungry.

That's all I can think of from personal experience and reccomedations. Of course, you may know all of this already or it may not be the right advice for you. But perhaps with a range of opinions you can find something useful.

Best of luck for you. You can do if it you work hard enough.

"Becoming Vegan" nutrition book has a chapter on dealing with putting on weight as a vegan.

Last edited:
Hi Jamie

Thanks for the advice. Another problem I have is not listening to my body:blush: eat until hungry not until full and I always eat until over full and because I rush I do stop to think I am even still hungry.
I will look into that book

I'm right there with you with the weight gain! I can't offer much support except to say I'm dealing with the same thing and I know how you feel!

It is calorie in, calorie out meaning that you either eat smaller portions (as Jamie suggested) or eat the same but start exercising so you burn more calories. Whether vegan or not calorie in/out will be there. But being vegan your health, energy and compassion would be much higher.

Are you eating/drinking lots of soy products? There has been shown a link between soy and thyroid function.
I myself have been gaining weight over the last 7 months of being vegan, low energy levels as well.
It's very disappointing, bearing in mind all the health benefits we are told will come our way.
I'm never going back to animal products, but I don't think, when asked why, I will ever talk about health benefits again.