Weight loss 1 month into plant based diet

Limuray

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello, everyone!
I'm very happy to be a part of this wonderful community!
It's been a month since I started my transition into plant based diet. Still have eaten few eggs and a little bit of cheese into my pesto. Also eaten 1 whole fish. But I'm getting there. 95 % of my diet have been plant based.
I was wondering if I will lose any weight? I haven't lost any during this month. Weight loss wasn't the reason why I wanted to transition, but I am quite amazed by not losing any. I used to eat around 3200-3600 kcal per day. Most of it was meat and dairy, but I was always fan of vegetables. I used to put cheese and sour cream on everything. As I am lactose intolerant, dairy gave me awful cramps and constipation. Meat triggered my irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux. Now two of these issues are completely gone - no pain, no constipation.
I've always been very inactive - desk job and no will to move. But by cutting out products that are so high in calories there should be some change. I am still inactive, but eating much less calories. Now I consume around 1800-2000 kcal every day, I feel full after every meal and there is no need to eat more. I eat a lot of beans, peas, soy and nuts, but together they do not exceed calorie intake I had before. I also eat a lot of greens, cherries and watermelon. I don't eat vegan junk food, almost everything is homemade. So this seems very strange - almost half of calorie intake cut, but no changes in weight at all. I am 5,5 feet tall and weight 143 pounds. Due to small frame some chubbiness can be seen. Has anyone else experience no changes in weight while consuming much less?

I used to eat around 3200-3600 kcal per day.
you consumed more than enough calories according to your weight
as my weight is almost near to yours but I never ever consumed above 3000 calories, frankly dear as it was your 1-month-old data otherwise I would like to say check it again. well as currently, you comsuming 2000 pounds it is enough to lose weight by one pound a week. Please check if you missing something because as per states you are taking less than required calorie according to your height and weight.
And I'm, not an expert but I learned all this during my fitness course class,

Reactions: Lou
You are not overweight by much. I was 14 stone 10 (208 pounds) and I slimmed down to 9 stone 2. (126 pounds) Check your metabolism. I didn't start losing weight until I started taking a thyroid suppliment as well as the tablets I take for an underactive thyroid gland. I was also very careful what I ate and went to the gym once a week.

Reactions: Lou
Jinendra Singh, I think I still consume too much since I am very inactive. I don't exercise at all. Calorie intake calculators indicate I should consume ~ 1800 at maximum for my sedentary lifestyle and about 1500 to start seeing some difference. But still I don't get how cutting down all those calories haven't changed my weight.

veganDreama, maybe it is the same for me with losing weight as it is for gaining weight. Although I always ate a lot and have always been inactive I have gained only ~10 pounds since age 21, that is six years.

I have lost weight but I work in a warehouse and I am constantly moving. I've lost 5lbs in the last month from it. I've also starting cooking with water instead of oil and eating way less processed food. Go for walks. Exercise is good for you and helps with a lot.

Jinendra Singh, I think I still consume too much since I am very inactive. I don't exercise at all. Calorie intake calculators indicate I should consume ~ 1800 at maximum for my sedentary lifestyle and about 1500 to start seeing some difference. But still, I don't get how cutting down all those calories haven't changed my weight.
No issue Limuray but I want to suggest that keep your day active with some physical activity such as sports or exercise it will help you to gain difference. At least 30 minutes of Physical activity a day will bring lots difference.

Hm, you said you are quite sedentary? Are you feeling stressed? Sleeping enough?

I know it might not seem like it's relevant but dietary changes even if healthy can be stress inducing to your body. That combined with other other stuff in life could explain this.

I'd say continue observing how you feel and any non-scale changes.

Best,
V

Hm, you said you are quite sedentary? Are you feeling stressed? Sleeping enough?

I know it might not seem like it's relevant but dietary changes even if healthy can be stress inducing to your body. That combined with other other stuff in life could explain this.

I'd say continue observing how you feel and any non-scale changes.

Best,
V
Hi!
Yes, I have a very sedentary lifestyle. I am almost not at all stressed comparing to past. I finally have a good job, everything is at its best. Enjoying every day. Used to be very depressed and with major money and health issues. My sleep has never been better.
I had a vacation this week. I was abroad for five days. Walked a lot, like never walked before. Could say about 30 km every day. Was still eating healthy and plant based. Had my friend with me, we ate the same, walked the same. She is not vegan or vegetarian. And she lost about ~8 lbs.
I will still write down everything I eat and how much I move during a day. If no changes after this month, I will go to the doctor, because this is strange.

Reactions: Vesta
Have you tried Cronometer? Since you are already writing everything down you could just input it into Cronometer and see how the calorie input/output compares.

Emma JC